Ms. Steiner's Weekly Newsletter
January 21, 2019
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day – No School!
January 22, 2019
January 25, 2019
January 29, 2019
Fruit Ninja/Wellness Night 5:30-7:00
January 30, 2019
Kindergarten – Lexington Children’s Theater 9:00
- I wanted to share some good news with you. Recently, Katie Carter, one of our 2nd grade teachers became a Nationally Board Certified Teacher. She is the 5th teacher at Dixie to achieve NBCT status. This is truly a difficult task to take on when teaching full time, and is a significant accomplishment. We are so proud of Katie for this achievement! Please congratulate her when you see her!
- More good news! We learned right before break that we are no longer labelled a TSI school for our African American population of students. There were a few changes to our scores that removed us from this category. We continue to be a TSI school for our ELL students. As a result, our School Improvement Plan (CSIP) includes several strategies focused on the growth of our ELL students. You can find the CSIP on both our school and district website. We continue to work to help all students grow each year at Dixie. This is evident in our overall achievement scores.
- This is a great time of the year for us to continue to help your child grow academically and socially. We have continuous days (barring no inclement weather) with no major breaks. As a result, it is important that you get your children here on time and try to prevent any unnecessary absences. We love having your children at school and it makes a difference in how they do over time.
- We will have our Fruit Ninja/Wellness night coming up at the end of the month. This is a fun night for all families. Everyone is invited to attend.
- We are beginning to see a return of the stomach bug, the flu and the cold. Please be sure to keep your child home until he or she is temperature free for 24 hours. This helps us to prevent the spread of germs. Thank you for your attention to this.
- Absences and tardies are beginning to accumulate for some of our students. Once your child has been absent or tardy and it is unexcused for three days, you will begin to receive written notices. If your child is absent or tardy for 6 days, you will receive a written notice as well as a visit to your home. If you have any questions regarding absences, please feel free to call our Attendance Clerk, Mari Burgess at 859-381-3116.
This week I would like to highlight one of our new Instructional Assistants, Shelby Miller. Shelby first arrived at Dixie as a student teacher last year before she graduated from the University of Kentucky in 2018. She returned to serve as a long term substitute in Mr. Bailes’s fourth grade class. Shelby is from Owensboro, Kentucky but currently lives in Lexington. She was married in July. For fun, Shelby plays on a kickball team. She loves coffee and working with students, especially the 4th grade! We love having Shelby at Dixie – she is a positive, upbeat member of the Dixie staff and always has a smile on her face!
Senator Thomas Visits Dixie Elementary
On February 12th, Senator Thomas met with the 5th grade class at Dixie Elementary. Upon entering he was greeted by four OMAC (Operation Making a Change) members and was escorted to the library where he spoke to the classes. During this time, he shared his personal educational journey, which included attending Bryan Station High School, Dartmouth College, and Harvard Law School. Students researched Senator Thomas’ life and were well prepared for the Q and A session that ensued. Senator Thomas encouraged Dixie students to take full advantage of their education and reminded them to not let obstacles stand in their way, sharing, “There’s no such thing as good luck. Luck equals preparation, plus opportunity.” Dixie students were also invited to the State House to be a Page in his office during this legislative session. His visit to Dixie concluded with a student lead tour of the building and him leaving the students two books, one about Kentucky facts, and the other The Legislative Process.
- There is an opportunity for free tutoring for your children at LTMS on Saturdays. Please see the flyer attached below for more information.
- There are also free dental clinics being held at UK. Please see the attached below for more information.
- As you know, the Design Thinking Committee has been working to revise the school’s Mission and Vision Statements. We have been getting student, staff, parent and community member input to develop a new mission and vision for the school. We still need parent and community members’ help and feedback! If you were not able to attend one of the information sessions, please feel free to contact Mr. Bailes if you would like to complete a survey at Mackenzie.email@example.com.
- We have several students who won a ride in a limo from parents who donated to the Wellness blood drive. Winners include: Evie Cox, Charlie Tracy, Maxwell McLaughlin, Brynleigh Howard, MacKenzie Davis and Dakota Christian. Congratulations to our winners.
- Please return your packets from the SchoolStore.
DIXIE MAGNET ELEM PTA 38509,
TO USE THE KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM:
- Simply encourage your members to register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If a member does not yet have a Kroger Plus card, please let them know that they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number or name of organization, select organization from list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after your member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
The Community Programs Staff