- Fayette County Public Schools
School board announces five candidates for superintendent
Fayette County Public Schools is getting close to finding a new superintendent. The school board announced the names of the five candidates May 24 before their regular monthly meeting:
- Christopher S. Bernier, Ed.D., chief of staff for the Clark County School District in Las Vegas, Nevada, a large urban district of more than 310,000 students.
- Melvin J. Brown, Ed.D., superintendent of Reynoldsburg City Schools, a district with 7,300 students in the metropolitan area of Columbus, Ohio.
- Angela Dominguez, assistant superintendent of academic services in Edgewood Independent School District in San Antonio, Texas, an urban district of about 10,000 students.
- Tawana Grover, Ph.D., superintendent of Grand Island Public Schools in Grand Island, Nebraska, a district of more than 10,000 students.
- Demetrus Liggins, Ph.D., superintendent of schools in Greenville Independent School District, an urban district of 5,000 students outside Dallas, Texas.
Click each photo above for a short bio. The community can also get to know the candidates through this week's interactive virtual public forums. “We are pleased with the screening committee’s diverse perspectives and the insights of our executive search firm, Greenwood/Asher & Associates. Working together, they have found quality candidates whose leadership experience and skills align well with the superintendent position profile, which was developed with community input,” said board Chair Tyler Murphy. “We’re excited about the possibilities that each candidate could bring to FCPS and can’t wait to introduce their incredible talents to our community and hear from all our stakeholders.”
Each candidate will participate virtually in a one-hour live public forum. LEX-18 News anchor Dia Davidson will moderate the five discussions. People can watch via live stream or attend a live session in Norsworthy Auditorium at the former district office at 701 E. Main St. Members of the community may submit questions online and during the forums. Afterward, everyone is welcome to send feedback to the board by midnight June 2 to help inform the next steps in the search.
Candidate time slots for forums
Wednesday, May 26:
- Tawana Grover, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
- Demetrus Liggins, 6:45 to 7:45 p.m.
Thursday, May 27:
- Angela Dominguez, 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Melvin Brown, 5:45 to 6:45 p.m.
- Christopher Bernier, 7 to 8 p.m.
Meet and greet
The public can engage with the candidates again next week when they visit Lexington in person.
- Wednesday, June 2, from 7 to 8:30 p.m. at Frederick Douglass High School
Follow the latest updates on the FCPS search webpage.
(Updated May 29; posted May 24, 2021)