Sign up for Nov. 9 Family University
The fall 2019 session of Family University is coming up Saturday, Nov. 9 at host Henry Clay High School. Fam U provides informational sessions for caregivers, enrichment activities for students of all ages, and district/community resources to help families stay engaged in their child’s education. Participation is free, and all are welcome!
“Family University provides amazing learning opportunities. It allows us as a school district to not only share information, but also to answer questions and learn from our families’ experiences,” said Miranda Scully, the district’s coordinator of Family & Community Engagement. “Fam U is about building relationships and partnerships. We want to create a village that supports our students’ academic and social/emotional success in our schools and community.”
This Saturday’s topics include:
- Financial aid, FAFSA assistance, and first-year freedoms and responsibilities in college;
- Social/emotional supports and resources for students (e.g. mental health, bullying, behavior intervention, restorative practices);
- Special Education 101, focusing on developmental milestones and evaluation processes;
- Navigating Fayette County Public Schools, with representatives from Gifted & Talented Services and Title I as well as the 16th District PTA.
On tap for students are breakouts on Locust Trace Agriscience Center, the district’s STEM Bus, and college and career support for high schoolers. Meanwhile, younger children will enjoy play-and-learn science exploration as well as using their hands and heart to create art.
The Fam U resource fair will bring a variety of providers together including the FCPS Parent Resource Center (special education), Title I Office, Human Resources, Migrant Education Program, and Pupil Personnel Office; First 5 Lex, Kids First, 16th District PTA, the Lexington Public Library, Bluegrass Community & Technical College, Lexington’s Parks & Recreation, Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA), and Mortarboard and Tassel Collegiate Consulting.
If you go
- When: Nov. 9 from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Where: Henry Clay High School, 2100 Fontaine Rd.
- Free registration
- Contact: Miranda Scully, (859) 381-4241