Henry Clay sprinter and Tates Creek girls earn multiple honors at state track meet
Henry Clay’s Langston Jackson sprinted into the record books, and the Tates Creek girls secured their first team championship at the 2019 KHSAA Class 3A State Track Meet, hosted June 1 by the University of Kentucky.
Langston posted a 10.23 in the 100-meter dash, which was 0.19 faster than Paul Laurence Dunbar’s William Allen in 2016, and he ran a 20.73 in the 200 meters, besting the old record by 0.21 seconds. He also helped the Blue Devils win the 4x100 and 4x200 relays. In all, Langston closed out his high school career with back-to-back titles in the 100 and 200, four wins in the 4x100, and three in the 4x200. He plans to run for UK next year.
On the girls’ side, the Commodores’ Rosalynd Hollingsworth set a state record with an 11.69 in the 100-meter dash. She and teammates Myann Davidson, Naturi Robinson, and Alex Smith also set a new mark in the 4x200 relay, and Naturi placed first in the 300-meter hurdles. Meanwhile, Creek distance runner Jenna Strange won both the 1,600 and 3,200 meters by more than 3 seconds.
In other victories, Frederick Douglass’ Isaiah Allen took first place in the triple jump and Christian Lewis was first in the long jump, while Lafayette’s William Wharton topped the 400 dash and freshman Sarah Ferguson won the pole vault.
Top 5 highlights from Fayette County Public Schools
- 4x800 relay – Lafayette, second (Anaya Brown, Meredith Wilson, Victoria Holliday, and Lamiah Campbell)
- 100 dash – Rosalynd Hollings of Tates Creek, first; Naturi Robinson of Tates Creek, fifth
- 4x200 relay – Tates Creek, first (Myann Davidson, Naturi Robinson, Alex Smith, Rosalynd Hollingsworth); Bryan Station, fourth (Sanaa Washington, TaShawna Jackson, Nevaeh Hayden, Maleah McCall)
- 1600 run – Jenna Strange of Tates Creek, first
- 4x100 relay – Henry Clay, second (Kendra DeRoy, Jaden Gatewood, Amiya Jenkins, Alexis Pinkston); Bryan Station, fifth (Sanaa Washington, Destiny Wilson, Maleah McCall, TaShawna Jackson)
- 400 dash – Alex Smith of Tates Creek, fifth
- 300 hurdles – Naturi Robinson of Tates Creek, first
- 800 run – Brianna Payton of Tates Creek, second
- 200 dash – Rosalynd Hollings of Tates Creek, second; Kayla Smalley of Tates Creek, fifth
- 3200 run – Jenna Strange of Tates Creek, first
- 4x400 relay – Tates Creek, second (Alex Smith, Kayla Smalley, Myann Davidson, Brianna Payton); Bryan Station, fourth (Naomi Edison-Turner, Djharriah Davis, Nevaeh Hayden, Maleah McCall)
- Discus – Tantalissia Champ of Bryan Station, fourth; Amaya Ross of Henry Clay, fifth
- Pole vault – Sarah Ferguson of Lafayette, first
- 110 hurdles – Mario Paul of Dunbar, fourth
- 100 dash – Langston Jackson of Henry Clay, first; Anthony Franklin of Bryan Station, second
- 4x200 relay – Henry Clay, first (Kobie Neal, Chris Dabney II, Langston Jackson, Ramond Jackson)
- 4x100 relay – Henry Clay, first (Chris Dabney, Ari Crutchfield, Langston Jackson, Ramond Jackson); Douglass, fifth (Christian Lewis, Keshawn Herron, Jaylin Russell, Deiron White)
- 400 dash – William Wharton of Lafayette, first
- 200 dash – Langston Jackson of Henry Clay, first; Anthony Franklin of Bryan Station, second
- 4x400 relay – Dunbar, fifth (Mario Paul, Austin Mathews, Jacob Greene, Jack Hamilton)
- Discus – Brandon Fields of Bryan Station, third; Isaiah McFarland of Tates Creek, fourth
- Long jump – Christian Lewis of Douglass, first; Elliott Bryant of Tates Creek, fourth
- Triple jump – Isaiah Allen of Douglass, first; Moses Botaka of Bryan Station, fourth
- High jump – Romahn Maksimenko of Tates Creek, second; Otreyvien Taylor of Douglass, third (tie)