Six Academic Challenge teams win regional tournaments and advance to Superintendent's Cup
Teams from Harrison, Meadowthorpe, Rosa Parks, Deep Springs, Tates Creek, and Sandersville elementaries won their respective tournaments in the March 16 regionals of the 2019 Academic Challenge. They now advance to the primary and intermediate finals, which are March 26 in Norsworthy Auditorium at the school district’s downtown office. Youngsters on the Superintendent’s Cup winning teams will receive college scholarship offers, along with individual students who lead the writing and math/science assessments (completed separately).
Primary division (grades 2-3)
- Winner: Harrison – Ezra Anglin, Alice Cottle, Davieon Williams, Taegan Woodhead.
- Runner-up: Breckinridge -- Joel Bamfo, Quinton Hudson, Jayquan Moreland, Aani Pandey, Jayzon Sutton, Kedar Upadhayay.
- Third place: Harrison – AJ Brooks, Jacobi Coleman, Brionna Crutchfield, Miller Ives, Gianna Taylor Martin, Jasmine Washington.
- Winner: Meadowthorpe – Joseph Caudill, Alexandra Fender, Taylor Freed, Walter Johnstone, Fidele Glory Nsonguh Ngongang, Chloe Strader.
- Runner-up: Lansdowne – Saul Jones, Jayden Martin, Karan Ayala Mast, Gregori Overstreet, Sawyer Wiglesworth.
- Third place: Coventry Oak – Lonie Kekia, Deion McKinney, Brinley Oaks, Pryson Robinson, Fernando Barajas Torres, and Eric Willoughby.
- Winner: Rosa Parks -- Ashritha Kakani, Lillian Mendiondo, James Nida, Wynston Shropshire, Anna Kate Tekulve.
- Runner-up: Ashland – Ellie Crawford, Analia Guillen Diaz, Demi Harris, Michael Sivy, Paxton Tedder.
- Third place: Rosa Parks -- Aaron George, Ameesha Kakani, Liam O’Carra, Aanya Parasramka, Connor Wright, Jannie Yang.
Intermediate division (grades 4-5)
- Winner: Deep Springs -- Sam Clough, Lailand Hayes, Makaleigh Mitchell, Kaylee Ryker, Kinsley Varney, Grace Yahr.
- Runner-up: Northern -- Sophia Collins, Taylor Glass, Kamen Sanders, Caleb Sheets, Blake Snowden.
- Third place: Arlington -- Elijah Birch, Bayleigh Chinn, Dai’Cori Kidd, Storey Lowry, Luis Ojeda, Brianna Starr.
- Winner: Tates Creek – Jack Beehner, Aaron Hobson, Makaila Mason, Ariadna Osorio Orduna, Ethan Wen, Cadyn Wilkinson.
- Runner-up: Dixie Magnet – Brian Favela, Izayah Mason, Logan Nesbitt, West Simmons, Kavion Thompson, Cody Wainwright.
- Third place: Tates Creek – Laylynn Adams, Rylynn Smith, Levi Stallard, Tristan Thompson, Caleb Ward.
- Winner: Sandersville -- Nana-Ekua Baidoo, Andrew Grace, Xavier Jackson, Ben Marsh, Chandler Puckett, Brennan Stansbury.
- Runner-up: Veterans Park – Aryan Bazrgari, Reed Chitwood, Maggi Dabney, Morgan Hill, Kennan Maxwell, Grace Ogunbayo.
- Third place: Veterans Park – Haley Ault, Payton Avilez, Jonathan Haley, Finley Insko, Harrison Payne.
The Academic Challenge program, which is organized by the Urban League (One Community, One Voice) and Fayette County Public Schools, aims to instill the importance of education and help close achievement gaps through a competitive tournament that children look forward to. Students receive trophies, medals, and certificates for participating, and the sponsoring colleges award scholarship offers in the finale.
All students in grades 2-5 are welcome to compete; please contact the elementary school’s Academic Challenge coach in early fall to sign up a child. For general questions, email Rose Santiago in the district’s office of Family and Community Engagement.