Registration & Enrollment

  • Kentucky law requires children between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff for enrolling in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1. Also, families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also apply for preschool in the Fayette County program.

    To register a K-12 student for the current school year, please review the requirements below and then begin online registration here. (Paper forms are available at the schools, if preferred.) A parent/guardian must complete the process in person at the school. To determine your child's school, which is based on home address, use the SchoolSite Locator tool


    • Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)
    • Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
    • Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam **
    • Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
    • Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
    • Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
    • Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable

    ** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until they are on file with FCPS.

    * A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. Among the acceptable alternatives: 

    • Adoption records;
    • Valid passport or other federal government identification like a Social Security card;
    • Military identification or immigration card;
    • Valid Kentucky driver's license or permit;
    • Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
    • Statement: "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment."

    You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.

    Health documentation: Exams, immunizations, and forms

    Note: The Fayette County Preschool Program has additional requirements; please visit the preschool page for instructions. Fall application packets are available in late April, and applications are accepted year-round. Families may begin online registration here

    Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is or

  • Contact

    Sharon Pearson, administrative assistant in Pupil Personnel

    • Phone: (859) 381-4130
    • Location: Room 209 at central office, 701 E. Main St.

    Andria Jackson, out-of-area attendance specialist

    • Phone: (859) 381-4122
    • Location: Room 205
  • Change of address

    If your family moves within Lexington, you must update your address with FCPS. Please stop by the school to complete a new household and student data form. However, if the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the SchoolSite Locator tool to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application; select the reason "My family moved after school started, but I would like my child to attend his/her current school through the end of this school year. We will begin in our new school next year." Call (859) 381-4122 for assistance. 

    If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence. (Grades K-5 may register during summer sign-up windows, and older students after Aug. 1.)