The Fayette County Preschool Program is the state-mandated preschool offering in Fayette County Public Schools. We enthusiastically support and follow the goals of the Kentucky Early Childhood Standards. The learning environment is skillfully planned by certified teachers using the philosophy of the Creative Curriculum to ensure a high quality, developmentally appropriate education for all young children.
A child who meets the following guidelines is eligible for preschool:
- Lives in Fayette County, and
- Is 4 years old on or before Aug. 1, and
- Falls under federal income guidelines.
Or if the child:
- Lives in Fayette County, and
- Is 3 or 4 years old, and
- Has a diagnosed special need.
Screening: Families with concerns about a child's development may request screening. Call (859) 381-4080 for an appointment.
How to apply
- Online — Parents or legal guardians may start the registration process by completing an online preschool application. They must then visit the Early Childhood Department at district offices, 701 E. Main St., to finish additional paperwork.
- In person — Applications are also taken and approved on-site in Room 116 at 701 E. Main St., from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays, or families may visit their local elementary school to get a paper application that can be couriered downtown once completed.
Families may apply year 'round, and all applications go through the district's preschool office. While a child's home school can provide an application and submit the paperwork, the district staff processes it and determines the child's eligibility. For questions, please call (859) 381-4105.
- Reliable proof of identity, such as an official copy of the child's birth certificate
- Proof of residency in Fayette County
- Verification of household income
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate
- Medical examination / physical check-up
- Eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
The Fayette County Preschool Center, headquartered at 465 Springhill Drive, houses four classrooms. Other preschool locations include the Family Care Center, the UK Early Childhood Lab, and the following elementary schools. The sessions run 7:35 to 10:35 a.m. and 11:35 a.m. to 2:35 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
- Academy for Leadership at Millcreek, 381-3527; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Arlington Elementary, 381-3030
- Booker T. Washington Elementary, 381-3263
- Breckinridge Elementary, 381-3273
- Cardinal Valley Elementary, 381-3340
- Coventry Oak Elementary, 381-3195
- Deep Springs Elementary, 381-3069
- Dixie Magnet Elementary, 381-3116
- Family Care Center, 288-4040; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Fayette County Preschool Center, 381-4080; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Glendover Elementary, 381-3403
- James Lane Allen Elementary, 381-3456
- Julius Marks Elementary, 381-3470
- Mary Todd Elementary, 381-3512; 8:15 to 11:15 a.m. and 12:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Meadowthorpe Elementary, 381-3521
- (Millcreek Elementary, 381-3527; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.)
- Northern Elementary, 381-3541; 8:15 to 11:15 a.m. and 12:15 to 3:15 p.m.
- Picadome Elementary, 381-3563
- Russell Cave Elementary, 381-3571
- Sandersville Elementary, 381-4980
- Southern Elementary, 381-3589
- Squires Elementary, 381-3002
- Stonewall Elementary, 381-3079; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
- Tates Creek Elementary, 381-3606
- UK Early Childhood Lab, 257-7732; 7:50 a.m. to 2:50 p.m. (full-day session)
- Wellington Elementary, 381-3000
- William Wells Brown Elementary, 381-4990; 7:35 a.m. to 2:35 p.m. (full-day session)
- Yates Elementary, 381-3613; 7 to 9:55 a.m. and 10:55 a.m. to 1:50 p.m.
The FCPS Preschool Program only serves children who live in Fayette County. Preschool is not a mandatory program, but is available to children who meet regulatory eligibility requirements (age, special needs, and/or income). Preschool is not offered in every elementary school; therefore, the program selects placement based on a child’s districted area (by child care or home address), available space at a school, transportation availability, etc.
Applications are taken year-round, and children are placed throughout the year based on classroom space. If transportation is needed, the district's Transportation Department is consulted regarding location/session based on current policies and procedures.
Web tip: The URL shortcut for this page is fcps.net/preschool
Whitney Stevenson, associate director of Early Childhood Education
Casey Evans, administrative assistant
Phone: (859) 381-4105
Location: Room 116 at central office, 701 E. Main St.
Alice Nelson, family/community early childhood coordinator
- (859) 381-4307
Constance Kirk, preschool registrar
- (859) 381-4239
Language assistance: If you don't feel comfortable speaking English, please email Jessica Sanchez, or call (859) 381-4318 and FCPS will arrange for an interpreter.