Testing & Accountability
Kentucky’s newest accountability system uses multiple academic and school quality measures rather than a single test or indicator. The system has students at its center — ensuring they are well-rounded, transition-ready, and prepared with knowledge, skills, and essential dispositions to successfully pursue the pathway of their choice after graduating from high school. Key goals include to:
- Promote higher levels of student learning and achievement;
- Reduce achievement gaps and ensure equity;
- Establish opportunity and access for students to receive a quality education;
- Build a culture of high expectations and continuous improvement;
- Communicate a clear and honest understanding of strengths and opportunities for improvement in schools and districts.
In August 2017, the Kentucky Board of Education unanimously approved the regulation that would govern the state’s new accountability system under the federal Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) and Senate Bill 1 (2017). Under the regulation, schools and districts will receive an overall rating of one to five stars (very low to very high) as determined by school performance on multiple indicators – proficiency, a separate academic indicator for science and social studies, growth (elementary and middle school), achievement gap closure, transition readiness, graduation rate (high school), and opportunity and access. Those performance levels combine to produce the overall star rating.
The former statewide system, Unbridled Learning: College/Career Readiness for All, addressed what students should learn, what would be tested, how subjects would be tested, when tests were given, what should comprise the public school accountability system, and more. Families whose children were tested in 2016-17 and 2017-18 still received information about how their students fared. However, the release of state test scores looked different than previous years. If you need help interpreting those results, please call your child’s school.
- 2017-18: 2017-18 Accountability data | 2017-18 Explainer | Sept. 2018: Superintendent's remarks (after Sept. 26, 2018 release of results)
- 2016-17 -- 2016-17 News release | 2016-17 Chart of scores | Understanding the results for elementary & middle (Spanish - elementary/middle results) | Understand the results in high school (Spanish/high school results) | 2016-17 Background and FAQ
- 2015-16 results
- 2014-15 results
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/testing