Non-Traditional Instruction (NTI)
COVID-19 Emergency End-of-School Procedures-Spring 2020
(A document of this complete text including supplemental information can be downloaded as a PDF.)
Maxwell Escuela de Inmersión en Español shares the commitment of all Fayette County Public Schools and the state to implement safety protocols and procedures that prioritize the health and safety of students, staff, and families. This plan details the specific safeguards that Maxwell will implement to limit contact and ensure appropriate social distancing on the school campus as we bring closure to the 2019-2020 school year.
Families & Caregivers of Students Building Access
- Maxwell will be implementing procedures that are designed to limit contact and reduce the need for any student or family to enter into the school building. A series of drive-thru drop-off and pick-up days will be instituted on May 27, 28, and 29 in which students and families may opt to return items and pick up belongings. The process for these procedures is detailed in the Material Check-in/Check-out section of the plan.
- All direct access to the building for students and families will be by appointment only. Appointments should be arranged by e-mailing Karen Holm-Hudson at firstname.lastname@example.org. All appointments will occur within the operational hours between 7:30 am and 4:30 pm.
- Students may only be accompanied by 1 adult. Only one student and family member will be allowed in the building at a time. Families will be asked to wait outside using social distancing until the office is available.
- Students and families who arrive without a confirmed appointment may be denied access or be subject to wait times outside of the building in order to maintain appropriate social distancing requirements.
- All students, families, and caregivers who enter the building must also pass through the screening process that is detailed in the Entry and Exit Requirements section of this plan.
Please click the link in the menu to the left for complete details and a schedule of pickup and drop-off procedures.
Traditional End-of-Year Events & Celebrations
No In-Person Celebrations
May has always been a special time at Maxwell in which the school community has traditionally gathered to celebrate our school culture and the accomplishments of our students and staff. To comply with CDC guidelines regarding social distancing, Maxwell will refrain from implementing any in-person student or staff ceremonies. Rather, Maxwell will utilize our WMAX news program and virtual technology to celebrate students, staff, and the end of the school year. Likewise, similar to other schools in FCPS, Maxwell, in cooperation with the FCPS Police Department and other local authorities will host specialized social distancing parades.
Grade Level Reverse Parades - Friday, May 22
At Maxwell we are representative of the entire Lexington community and our families extend throughout the whole district. Our staff has missed not seeing our students and families during the extended NTI session. As a way to bring closure to the year, while maintaining appropriate social distancing, we will be hosting a "reverse parade" for grades K-4. For the reverse parade, we invite you to decorate your car and drive through the school's bus lane during a designated time for your child's grade level. Your child's teachers and other staff will be present to wave and cheer from a safe distance on the sidewalk. Note that in order to comply with social distancing protocols and to keep traffic flowing, all individuals will need to stay in their cars. We will be implementing strict safety protocols and the Fayette County Public Schools' Police Department will be present to assist us during this process. Note that cars should only contain members of individual households and families will need to comply with all state and district regulations and protocols. Please note that on this day you will not be able to pass items out of the car to staff. The pick-up and drop-off days will provide families an opportunity to leave items designated for staff. We hope to see all of our families on this special day!
Parade Route: Please enter the parade by traveling down Maxwell St. and merging into the right lane that turns onto Woodland Avenue. You will be directed into the bus lane to experience the parade.
- Kindergarten: 10:00am - 10:45am
- First Grade: 11:00am - 11:45am
- Second Grade: 12:00pm - 12:45pm
- Third Grade: 1:00pm - 1:45pm
- Fourth Grade: 2:00pm - 2:45pm
Fifth Grade Drive-Thru Promotion Ceremony - Tuesday, May 26
To honor our 5th-grade students and their time at Maxwell, we will host a special parade on Tuesday, May 26, 2020, from 11:00am - 12:00pm. This parade will follow the same format as the "reverse parades" above; however, we will have dedicated decorations and music to commemorate this special event. Note that we will observe strict social distancing protocols and students and families will not be able to exit vehicles or pass items to teachers. Families will be able to ride through the parade route that starts on Maxwell St. and merges into the bus lane on Woodland Ave. There will be a special electronic program for which families will receive a link prior to the parade. In addition to the parade, we will have some parting gifts that families may pick up during the pick-up/drop-off days. There are also some other surprises that will be coming to our 5th-grade students. Stay tuned!
NTI Introduction Video from Mr. Crawford
Seesaw for Home Learning
During NTI and extended closure, Maxwell will be using Seesaw for Home Learning as our Learning Management System (LMS). You may also download the Class application for your device. Please see the following one-page directions for additional details.
- Seesaw instructions (English)
- Seesaw instructions (Español)
- Seesaw for Home Learning demonstration (video)
Assignments and information will be posted on Seesaw daily by 7:45 a.m. For replacement copies of codes, email Mr. Crawford.
Help via the district's Student Tech Support number, 381-4410, is available between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays.
In addition to Seesaw, as part of daily assignments students may be asked to go to other online learning applications. Please find below a listing of some potential sites.
- Wonders – Connect through Google Drive and find ConnectED in the “waffle.” Some grade levels and classes use the simplified login.
- Investigacions & EnVisiones – Connect through Google Drive and find Easy Bridge in the “waffle.”
- Google Classroom
- Clever Student Login
- Imagine Math
- Imagine Español
For assistance with these codes, please email your child’s teachers.
Each teacher will have specified office hours during NTI. Please send an email to your child’s teacher for specific times.
Social and Emotional Well-Being
If you, your child, or your family is in need of resources or counseling services during this time, please see our Social and Emotional Well-Being section for information from our Guidance Counselor and School Social Worker.
Parent Support - Self Care Tips for Life at Home During COVID - 19 Sign-up Form
Please complete this form if you would like to attend the Parent Support Zoom call about Self Care Tips on May 7. Please choose which session (AM or PM) you would like to join below. Once you are registered, we will email you the zoom link to join us.
If your family is in need of assistance for basic needs during the period of NTI, please contact the Maxwell Family Resource Center by emailing Ms. Timia Gardner.