The Fayette County Preschool Program is the state-mandated preschool offering in Fayette County Public Schools. We enthusiastically support and follow the goals of the Kentucky Early Childhood Standards. The learning environment is skillfully planned by certified teachers using the philosophy of the Creative Curriculum to ensure a high quality, developmentally appropriate education for all young children.
A child who meets the following guidelines is eligible for preschool:
- Lives in Fayette County, and
- Is 4 years old on or before Aug. 1, and
- Falls under federal income guidelines.
Or if the child:
- Lives in Fayette County, and
- Is 3 or 4 years old, and
- Has a diagnosed special need.
Screening: Families with concerns about a child's development may request screening. Call (859) 381-4080 for an appointment.
How to apply
Families may apply year 'round. All applications must go through the district's preschool office. While a child's home school can provide an application and submit the paperwork, the district staff processes it and determines the child's eligibility.
Note: In 2017-18, the online registration option is only for grades K-12.
These forms are also available at the district's preschool office, Room 116 at 701 E. Main St. For questions, call (859) 381-4105.
Reliable proof of identity, such as an official copy of the child's birth certificate
- Proof of residency in Fayette County
- Verification of household income
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate
- Medical examination (physical)
- Eye exam
The Fayette County Preschool Center, headquartered at 465 Springhill Drive, houses four classrooms. Other preschool locations are at elementary schools, the Family Care Center, and the UK Early Childhood Lab.
- Academy for Leadership at Millcreek, 381-3527
- Arlington Elementary, 381-3030
- Booker T. Washington Elementary, 381-3263
- Breckinridge Elementary, 381-3273
- Cardinal Valley Elementary, 381-3340
- Coventry Oak Elementary, 381-3195
- Deep Springs Elementary, 381-3069
- Dixie Magnet Elementary, 381-3116
- Family Care Center, 288-4040
- Fayette County Preschool Center, 381-4080
- James Lane Allen Elementary, 381-3456
- Julius Marks Elementary, 381-3470
- Mary Todd Elementary, 381-3512
- Meadowthorpe Elementary, 381-3521
- (Millcreek Elementary, 381-3527)
- Northern Elementary, 381-3541
- Picadome Elementary, 381-3563
- Southern Elementary, 381-3589
- Squires Elementary, 381-3002
- Stonewall Elementary, 381-3079
- Tates Creek Elementary, 381-3606
- UK Early Childhood Lab, 257-7732
- Wellington Elementary, 381-3000
- William Wells Brown Elementary, 381-4990
- Yates Elementary, 381-3613
Web tip: The URL shortcut for this page is www.fcps.net/preschool.
Whitney Stevenson, associate director of Early Childhood Education
Casey Evans, administrative assistant
Phone: (859) 381-4105
Location: Room 116 at central office, 701 E. Main St.
Alice Nelson, family/community early childhood coordinator
- (859) 381-4307
Constance Kirk, office assistant
- (859) 381-4239
ESL assistance: If you don't feel comfortable speaking English, please email Jessica Sanchez, or call (859) 381-4318 and FCPS will arrange for an interpreter.