Progress is not inevitable.
It is the result of choices we make together.
Reflecting priorities, recommendations and critical insight from students, parents, community partners, teachers and district leaders, FCPS's first Sustainability Action Plan begins implementation.
Planting with the Principal teaches students the ecological, economic and human health importance of Lexington's urban tree canopy, along with the correct way to plant and care for trees on our campuses and in their neighborhoods.
Sustainability Superstar program recognizes critical custodial, cafeteria and grounds staff who go above and beyond to create vibrant, healthy and sustainable schools and campuses.
Students learn first hand how FCPS's newest middle school prioritizes sustainable design and collaborate with numerous design professionals on the Mary E Britton Middle School project.
Five new campus solar benches, courtesy of Bluegrass Youth Sustainability Council
Fayette County Public Schools will be a national leader in the three pillars of sustainability: environmental literacy, building and campus impact, and student/staff wellness.
To empower students to create change through enduring improved sustainability by equipping school and community stakeholders with the tools and knowledge to protect our natural, human, and fiscal resources.
- Embrace a student-driven model
- Create mindful engagement of diverse stakeholders and ideas
- Utilize data-driven monitoring to inform decisions
- Provide purposeful, continuous, comprehensive support to students, teachers, and staff.
- Educate students, staff, and community on the sustainable use of energy and the importance of energy efficiency;
- Reduce the our environmental impact through the sustainable use of natural resources;
- Reduce energy consumption in all buildings through sustainable practices to divert district funds from utiities to the classroom;
- Empower administrators to make sustainable decisions that favorably impact the use of energy at their site;
- Build robust and lasting relationships between FCPS and community partners;
- Promote energy awareness and stimulate sustainable energy-efficient behaviors among all occupants and users;
- Engage students in active responsible citizenship through sustainable activities;
- Increase student achievement;
- Encourage the sustainable use of school facilities as a hands-on learning lab;
- Provide leadership opportunities to students;
- Teach real-life skills that promote sustainable and energy-efficient behaviors that students will take home; and
- Promote FCPS as sustainable and responsible stewards of the environment and of community tax dollars.
Our flagship initiative for students is SEE KY (Sustain. Educate. Empower.), which is a four-step program that guides hands-on investigations of energy data, energy awareness campaigns, and school improvement projects.
FCPS has also adopted green building practices in all our construction and renovation projects to ensure that our schools are environmentally friendly. In addition, FCPS received 2020 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School district award.
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/sustainability