WBL: Team-Based Challenge
WBL = Work-Based Learning
Through team-based challenges, students can check out a variety of careers and jobs through problem-solving projects. These activities:
- Provide access to potential careers in an industry of interest;
- Develop problem-solving and research skills;
- Build teamwork and presentation skills;
- Help students make the connection between school and the workplace; and
- Inform their career planning.
Team-based challenges give students a chance to enhance the relevance of academic concepts by applying what they have learned. The activities:
- Offer an opportunity to explore and practice in a field of interest;
- Build knowledge about the education and training needed for a particular career path and entry into the industry; and
- Allow for teacher/employer interaction to support the challenge.
Three formats deliver unique experiences to students and employers as the activities are organized through:
- Classroom preparation, including research on the industry and participating businesses;
- Employer orientation and support; and
- Reflection on the experience orally and in writing.
Tools and Materials
Team-based challenge organizers and participants can use the following resources to plan, implement, and review.