WBL: Site Visits
WBL = Work-Based Learning
Site visits give students a chance to learn firsthand about an industry, specific jobs, and potential career opportunities. The designed activities:
- Build occupational knowledge;
- Develop an understanding of the education and training needed; and
- Foster an understanding of the business’s workforce and its contributions to the community.
Site visit activities:
- Illustrate how key academic concepts are applied in the real world;
- Enable students to ask questions and observe work in progress; and
- Promote interaction with professional adults.
Students learn by observing employees on the job. The experience is connected to:
- Classroom learning and preparation;
- Individual career development and training plans; and
- A sequence of educational, training, and workplace activities.
Tools and Materials
Site visit organizers and participants can use the following resources to plan, implement, and review.