WBL: Guest Speakers
WBL = Work-Based Learning
Guest speakers give students a chance to listen to presentations about a career, business, or organization. This prompts them to ask relevant questions as they consider whether it is a field that interests them.
Guest presentations help students build knowledge about the education and training needed for a particular job, career path, and entry into the industry. The structured activities:
- Allow students to listen, receive information, and ask questions.
- Enable students to begin identifying areas of career interest.
Volunteer Application (required background check)
Three formats deliver unique experiences to students and employers as the activities are organized through:
- Classroom preparation, including research on the industry and participating businesses;
- Employer orientation and support; and
- Reflection on the experience orally and in writing.
Tools and Materials
Guest speaker presentation organizers and participants can use the following resources to plan, implement, and review.