Skip To Main Content

Home Schooling

Notification: If you want to home-school your child, you must notify FCPS that you have established a home school. You must report the names, ages, and place of residence of each child being home-schooled.

Intent to Home-School

Requirements: The school term in Kentucky is no fewer than 170 six-hour instructional days a year. A Pupil Personnel representative from the local school district periodically may visit a home school to ensure that quality instruction requirements are met. For details, visit KDE or call (502) 564-3791.

Records: By law, all home schools are to keep attendance records and a portfolio containing samples of each student's best work. This record may be used to document the existence of the home school or if the child transfers to a different educational setting. A record of courses taken and grades received is also required. You also must keep a legal birth certificate or other official proof of birth date, a Kentucky certificate of immunization, and a copy of a medical exam on file for each child.


Steve Hill,
director of Pupil Personnel

Christina Moore,
administrative assistant
(859) 381-4130