Registration & Enrollment

  • Kentucky law requires youths between 6 and 18 years old to attend school, and the birthday cutoff to enroll in kindergarten is age 5 on or before Aug. 1. Also, families may apply for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also apply for the Fayette County Preschool Program year-round.*

  • Quick links:

    Please follow these steps to sign up a kindergartener or other student who is new to FCPS:

    1. Review the enrollment requirements below.
    2. Start with online registration
    3. Call your school's registrar for an appointment to finish the packet in person. The windows for 2022-23 registration are 8 a.m. to noon weekdays on Feb. 4-28, April 4-29, and Aug. 1-10 (first day of school). Your school might also have evening options. Note: If FCPS buildings are closed because of weather, then registration is canceled. 

    Students will be enrolled at the school where they are zoned based on residential address. Once FCPS receives all the required documents, your school will confirm your child's enrollment.  

    Requirements for enrolling in FCPS:

    • Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below***)
    • Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
    • Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
    • Proof of child's recent preventative healthcare exam ** 
    • Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
    • Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
    • Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable

    ** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until the immunization certificate is on file with FCPS.

    Health documents: 

    *** A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required. Acceptable alternatives include: 

    • Adoption records;
    • Valid passport or other federal government identification;
    • Military identification or immigration card;
    • Valid Kentucky driver's license or permit;
    • Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying the student by name and date of birth; or
    • Statement: "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes a written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment."

    You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.

  • Contact us

    Sharon Pearson,
    administrative assistant
    in Pupil Personnel
    (859) 381-4130

  • Change of address:

    If your family moves within Lexington, you must update your address with FCPS. Please contact your school and provide two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt.

    However, if the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the SchoolSite Locator tool to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application; select the reason "My family moved after school started, but I would like my child to attend his/her current school through the end of this school year. We will begin in our new school next year." Call (859) 381-4130 for assistance. 

    If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence. 

  • Other resources:

    * Preschool: The Fayette County Preschool Program has additional requirements; please visit our preschool webpage for application instructions. 

    Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is or