Our thriving Pre-Engineering Program is designed to provide every student with the skills needed to succeed in such mathematically rigorous and technical fields as engineering, architecture, medicine, computer programming, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics. The program emphasizes higher-order thinking skills by using technology to solve real-world problems. Students can see applications of the math and science skills they are learning as well as apply them in the classroom through a challenging curriculum.
Tuesday October 25th, 2022 6:00pm- Lafayette High School Cafeteria
District Showcase- Saturday January 7, 2023 10:00am to 12:00pm and 1:00pm to 3:00pm Tates Creek High School
Lafayette 8th Grade Parent Orientation
Tuesday, January 17, 5:30-7:30
Although this event takes place before the application window is closed, counselors welcome you to attend and learn more about Lafayette, receive a schedule card, and more. Those that reside in Lafayette district should complete the card as if you have been accepted to the program. This can be changed if you choose to go to another school or not accepted into the program. If you do not live in the LHS attendance area, we recommend you wait until Pre-Engineering results are released on March 8 to turn in the schedule card. If you cannot attend, don’t worry, you will also have an opportunity to receive and turn in a schedule card after Pre-Engineering results are shared.
To apply for the Lafayette Pre-Engineering Program beginning 2023-2024, you must:
- Complete the district's online application between (January 7, 2023 and January 22, 2023).
- Complete and submit the Student Questionnaire between (January 7th and January 27, 2023). You will need to provide the names/email addresses of a science and math teacher from your middle school. These teachers will then be emailed by the Pre-Engineering Directors and asked to complete a recommendation survey. You will also select a date to take the IOWA Assessments in Math and Science (FCPS students will be tested at their middle school. Private school/makeup testing will be on February 18th at PL Dunbar High School)
- Complete and submit the Math and Science sections of the Parent Survey for Gifted and Talented Educational Services between (January 7th and January 27th). Only one form needs to be submitted. If you have completed one with your application to Dunbar's MSTC or Henry Clay Liberal Arts Academy, then please do NOT complete another form.
- Take the IOWA Assessments in Math and Science.
- If you are not currently enrolled in an FCPS middle school, then have your parents obtain a copy of your middle school transcript for the 6th, 7th and through December of the 8th grade from your middle school registrar or counselor. Private school transcripts must be emailed OR mailed/postmarked by February 20, 2023. If you are currently enrolled in an FCPS middle school, then this will be provided automatically.
- Review the program rules and regulations.
Note: ALL students enrolling must be entering at a level of Advanced Geometry or above in mathematics.
The following will be used to determine acceptance into the Pre-Engineering Program.
- IOWA Math Score
- IOWA Science Score
- MOST RECENT MAP Math Score
- Cumulative GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Math Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Teacher Recommendation
- Math Teacher Recommendation
- Completion of the Student Questionnaire
Due to the cap on our enrollment, many well-deserving students are placed on the waitlist. You will be notified as being accepted, waitlisted, or declined by EMAIL on March 8th. You will have seven days (not business) to respond to an acceptance offer. Waitlisted students will be contacted according to space availability if someone declines an offer.
If you have any questions, please contact Diane Remley (Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Directors: Taylor Steele and Seth Young
Pre-Engineering Program Rules and Regulations
**Students assigned to other high schools may also apply. Transportation is not guaranteed.**