Pre-Engineering Application Process
The thriving Pre-Engineering Program at Lafayette High School is designed to provide every student with the skills needed to succeed in such mathematically rigorous and technical fields as engineering, architecture, medicine, computer programming, mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics. The program emphasizes higher-order thinking skills by using technology to solve real-world problems. Students can see applications of the math and science skills they are learning as well as apply them in the classroom through a challenging curriculum.
To apply for the Lafayette Pre-Engineering Program beginning 2019-2020 you must:
- Complete the online application on the FCPS website (https://dna.fcps.net/SpecProgApp/) between August 15 and October 8, 2018.
- Complete and submit the student questionnaire (click here for student questionnaire) by October 22, 2018. You will also be asked to provide the names of a science and math teacher from your middle school. These teachers will then be emailed, by the Pre-Engineering directors and asked to complete a recommendation survey.
- Have your parents obtain a copy of your middle school transcript for the 6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade from your middle school registrar or counselor. If you are currently enrolled in a Fayette County Public Schools middle school, this will be provided automatically. Private school transcripts must be mailed in and postmarked by November 26, 2018.
- Students will be given the IOWA math and science assessment on Friday, November 16, 2018 OR Saturday, November 17, 2018. An email will be sent at a later date to applicants to choose a testing date. Those students also applying for the MSTC at Dunbar should plan on testing with Dunbar and those scores will be shared with Lafayette. Math scores only will be shared with the Liberal Arts Academy at Henry Clay. You may only take each section of the test ONE time.
- Review the Pre-Engineering Program Rules and Regulations (click here for progam rules and regulations).
Please Note: ALL students enrolling must be entering a level of Advanced Geometry or above in mathematics.
The following will be used to determine acceptance into the Pre-Engineering Program. All students will be ranked based on scores and the top students will be offered a spot.
- IOWA Math Score
- IOWA Science Score
- MOST RECENT MAP Math Score
- Cumulative GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Math Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Teacher Recommendation
- Math Teacher Recommendation
- Completion of the Student Questionnaire
You will be notified as to your acceptance by FCPS no later than January 31st, 2019. If you have any questions, you may contact one of the Co-Directors according to the student’s last name as indicated below.
(A-L) Mrs. Diane Remley at email@example.com
(M-Z) Mrs. Laura Gravitt at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for your interest!
The Lafayette Pre-Engineering Program
Pre-Engineering Open House Nights:
- Tuesday, September 18, 2018 from 5:30-6:30 pm
- Thursday, September 27, 2018 from 5:30-6:30 pm
**Students assigned to other high schools may also apply.**