This is my 15th year in education and my 5th year at Maxwell. I began my career in Columbus, Ohio in 2003 teaching 4th grade at Grove City Christian. I moved back to Kentucky in 2004 and taught 4th and 5th grade in Danville, Kentucky at Jennie Rogers Elementary for 5 years while getting my Masters and Rank I in School Counseling. I then came to Fayette County and taught 5th grade at Breckinridge Elementary for 4 years. In 2013, I was fortunate enough to become the counselor here at Maxwell and am so thankful I get to be a part of the Maxwell family. I was born in Portsmouth, Ohio and moved to Kentucky when I was 18 to attend the University of Kentucky. I married my high school sweetheart 10 years ago. We have a 6 year old son named Liam that is currently a 1st grader at Maxwell and a 1 year old daughter named Sloane. We love to spend time together watching Ohio State Buckeyes during football season and the University of Kentucky Wildcats during basketball season.
What Does a Counselor Do?
- Talks with students individually and in groups.
- Gains understanding of your child's behavior through observation and participation in the classroom to help identify their needs.
- Intervenes with potential dropouts.
- Helps students relate to others.
- Provides counsel to teachers and parents so that they can better help their children and students.
- Helps parents find and make better use of community resources.
- Identify student abilities, achievement, interests, and needs.
- Utilize other school specialists to aid students in their growing process.
- Coordinates referrals to outside agencies.
- Hosts and facilitate parent discussion groups.
- Helps with school, college, job, career, and personal plans.
- Participates in curriculum development.