What Does a Counselor Do?
- Teaches school guidance classes (twice a month to every class).
- Talks with students individually and in groups
- Gains understanding of your child's behavior through observation and participation in the classroom to help identify their needs.
- Conflict resolution-helps students relate to others.
- Provides counsel to teachers and parents so that they can better help their children and students.
- Helps parents find and make better use of community resources.
- Identifies student abilities, achievement, interests, and needs.
- Utilizes other school specialists to aid students in their growing process.
- Works with outside agencies to provide the best care to our students and their families.
- Coordinates referrals to outside agencies.
- Helps with school, college, job, career, and personal plans.
- Participates in curriculum development.
- Manages all 504 Plans
- Building Assessment Coordinator (BAC)
- Infinite Campus Building Coach
- Serves on PBIS Team
- Serves on School Leadership Team
- Serves on School BEST Team (Behavior and Emotional and Support Team)
Dana Moses has been the Child Guidance Specialist at Garden Springs since August 2005. Prior to that she was the Family Resource Center Coordinator at James Lane Allen Elementary for 4 years. Mrs. Moses has a Bachelors in Family Studies, Masters in Social Work and a Rank 1 from The University of Kentucky and holds a Certification in School Social Work.
Mrs. Moses grew up travelling the world as a military brat. She has been in Lexington since 1994 when she began her studies at UK. She enjoys reading, watching movies, and spending countless weekends watching her daughter play volleyball. She is passionate about making sure “the whole child” is happy, healthy and safe. She feels lucky to get to be a part of the lives of children every day at GSE.
Thank you for visiting the School Counselor's page. Mrs. Moses is available by phone, email, or in person to discuss any issues that your child or family is facing. Please reach out using the contact information below to schedule an in person appointment or talk via email or phone.
It is an honor for her to be part of your child's life.