Leestown Personal Appearance/Dress Code
The goal of student dress at Leestown Middle School is to help create a healthy and safe atmosphere within the school. Often times, inappropriate clothing and accessories can be a source of classroom distractions. It should be recognized that one’s personal appearance is a manifestation of self-evaluation and we hope that students will think highly enough of themselves to dress for success.
Acceptable Clothing Includes:
• Pants, shorts, capris and skirts worn at the waist so no underwear or undershorts show
• Jerseys or tank tops worn with a sleeved undershirt
• Tennis shoes, boots or dress shoes, sandals with ankle strap
• Jogging suits
• Spandex or leggings covered with skirt or shorts that are no higher than the width of a dollar bill length above the knee (2 ½ inches above the knee)
• Sweatshirts and tops without hood
• Form-fitting outerwear (i.e. yoga pants, leggings, tights, etc.) that is covered by another article of apparel and meets the criteria of being no higher than 2 ½ inches above the knee
Unacceptable Clothing Includes:
• Clothing with obscenities, vulgarities, profane language, double meanings, drug, alcohol, gang related or ethnic or racially offensive stereotypical language or pictures
• Visible undergarments, pajamas or tank tops worn without an undershirt
• Hats, sunglasses (including novelty glasses) and bandanas
• Hair picks or combs worn in the hair
• House shoes, athletic slide shoes or flip flops
• Holes in garments in which skin (and/or undergarment) is exposed
• Sweatshirt with hood (hoodie)
*Outerwear (coats, scarfs, gloves), must be stored in lockers during the day. Students may wear sweatshirts (with no hood), sweaters or light jackets*
With major violations (holes in clothing exposing skin, revealing clothing, clothing with profanity, etc.), parents will have to bring a change of clothing.
Note: For personal appearance issues not addressed above, the administrative team reserves the final decision.