At Carter G Woodson Academy the Counseling Department works to provide a school counseling program that addresses the academic, career, personal and social development of both the middle and high school scholar.
- CGWA serves approximately 240 boys in grades 6-12
- School hours: 8:25am – 3:15 pm
- Afterschool program from 3:30– 4:30 pm
- All Scholars are on a Block Schedule with A/B day Rotation.
- Royal Time for all scholars meets at 8:30 am where attendance is taken.
- Each scholar is assigned to a morning Advisory group.
High School & Middle School Scholars
- 26 credits are required to graduate from the Academy.
- Each class is worth ½ a credit per semester so high school students can earn 8 credits per year.
- Classes meet on an A-Day / B-Day block schedule.
- Students playing HS sports play for Frederick Douglass High School.
- Two years of the same World Language are encouraged for College Admittance.
- We encourage students to stick with the same language through high school for college proficiency exams. These courses count as electives.
- Scholars wear a uniform which includes a dark blue blazer with crest and grey pants, white shirt and maroon loafers. A white undershirt can be worn underneath.
R·O·Y·A·L·S Raising Our Young Men to Achieve & Leading them to Succeed