Benefits of Being Bilingual
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth.
- Enriches and enhances a child's mental development.
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening.
- Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language.
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people she/he would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives the child a head start in language requirements for college.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
Benefits of Biliteracy
Read the article in Kentucky Teacher showcasing the immersion programs in Fayette County Schools. Maxwell Elementary is one of the 3 elementary schools in the Spanish Immersion Program and is the only entry point available to those living anywhere within Lexington.