Benefits of biliteracy
- Has a positive effect on intellectual growth;
- Enriches and enhances a child's mental development;
- Leaves students with more flexibility in thinking, greater sensitivity to language, and a better ear for listening;
- Improves a child's understanding of his/her native language;
- Gives a child the ability to communicate with people she/he would otherwise not have the chance to know;
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps the child understand and appreciate people from other countries;
- Gives the child a head start in language requirements for college;
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
Did you know?
Maxwell Elementary is one of the three elementaries in the district's Spanish Immersion Program and is the only entry point available to children living anywhere within Lexington