Frequently Asked Questions

  • We have compiled quick answers to some of the more commonly asked questions in Fayette County Public Schools. Skim below through these categories: contacts, school issues, academics, special programs and services, and miscellaneous. If you cannot find what you need here or elsewhere on this website, please call (859) 381-4100.

    Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is

  • Contacts

    How can I reach the superintendent? Call (859) 381-4104 for the executive assistant.

    What is the teacher's email address? Look on the school's website for its staff directory, found under the "About Us" tab.

    Where are all the FCPS police officers? Multiple officers are assigned to geographical areas in order to cover all schools and district property. The main number is (859) 381-4200.

    What if I want to publicize a school event? FCPS staff should submit pertinent details through our media request form at least 10 days in advance. District-level coverage, publication, and broadcasts are at the discretion and availability of Creative Media Productions staff.

    How do I download a show that aired on FCPS-ETV? Please call (859) 381-4253 or -4256.

    What about pictures from the district's website? To secure high-resolution photos, please email the district webmaster. Include the webpage URL or subject of the article, and indicate which photo(s) you need. There is no charge.

  • School issues

    Can my child attend preschool? Eligibility is determined by age and income criteria (age 4) or diagnosed special need (ages 3 and 4). | Fayette County Preschool Program

    How old does a child have to be for kindergarten? Per state regulations, the child must be 5 years old on or before Aug. 1. Parents may request screening for possible early entry for mature children who will turn 5 between Aug. 2 and Oct. 31. | Kindergarten

    What's the process for enrollment? Families may start the process online (paper forms are available at school if preferred), and then go to their neighborhood's assigned school to finish the registration packet. To determine your attendance zone, use the SchoolSite Locator tool. The sign-up windows are typically in February, April, and summer. | Enrollment

    How can I send my child to a different school? FCPS sharply limits the criteria for approving such requests. Please review the choices carefully in the online application; each reason includes a detailed explanation. | Out-of-area requests

    What if my family moves? If your family moves within Fayette County, you should take two proofs of residence to the current school, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name, and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt. If the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you will also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the SchoolSite Locator tool to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application, selecting reason No. 3; call (859) 381-4122 for assistance. ... If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. (Grades K-5 may register during summer sign-up windows, and older students after Aug. 1.)

    Do my children qualify for free meals? Many school sites participate in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), where all students receive free meals. For students at other schools, families with certain income levels are eligible for free meals. | Meals assistance

    What happens when roads are icy or snow is forecast? Families are alerted to FCPS schedule changes via an automated emergency notification system, and announcements are posted on the district's website, Facebook page, Twitter feed, and FCPS-ETV, as well as through local television and radio stations. | Weather advisories

    Where do the renovations stand at my child's school? The Board of Education receives monthly updates, which are posted on the district's website. | Renovations

    Can I volunteer at my child's school? Certainly! Volunteers help ensure success for all our students. Check out the Give 10 initiative. You can also get involved through your school's PTA or PTSA chapter. | 16th District PTA

    There's a problem at school. Whom do I call? The first step in handling a question, concern, or problem is to contact the teacher or guidance counselor. If the situation remains unresolved, families are encouraged to speak with the principal. If further attention is needed, the next step is to call the district office at (859) 381-4100.

    When will high school graduation dates be announced? Specifics are not set in the spring until after the threat of wintry weather has passed and all the make-up days have been confirmed. When the graduation schedule is released (typically in late March), the details are posted on the FCPS homepage and district calendar, on Facebook and Twitter, on FCPS-ETV, and through other local media.

  • Academics

    Where can I access my children's grades? Families can see grades, attendance records, class assignments, and more through Infinite Campus, the student records management software system for all school districts in Kentucky. 

    How can my child join an Academic Challenge team? Watch for sign-ups at our Title I elementary schools, or ask your child's teacher. 

    Where can I find state testing results? FCPS posts state test scores and other accountability reports under Testing & Accountability.

    When can my student register for summer school? Teens interested in taking the initial-credit physical education class during summer break should check with their high school guidance counselor in mid-spring about the dates and registration details. | Bryan Station: (859) 381-3308 | Frederick Douglass: (859) 381-3780 | Henry Clay: (859) 381-3423 | Lafayette: (859) 381-3474 | Paul Laurence Dunbar: (859) 381-3546 | Tates Creek: (859) 381-3620

    I heard FCPS offers online classes. How does that work? eSchool is a web-based program that students can use anywhere they have internet access. It is available year-round for credit recovery, initial credit, or grade improvement. Final exams are proctored and administered by appointment at Martin Luther King Jr. Academy. Students should start the eSchool process with their high school guidance counselor. For general questions, call (859) 381-4052.

    How can I get a copy of my transcript? Each high school issues transcripts for their graduates; simply call the registrar at your alma mater. Current students can also request their transcripts online and have them sent directly to participating colleges and universities via Parchment

    How do I get my GED? Students who do not earn a high school diploma may instead pursue a GED in the community. | GED options

  • Special services

    My children are really bright. How can I get them involved in accelerated programs? Opportunities are available for students who excel in academics, visual or performing arts, leadership, and other areas. | Gifted & talented services | Magnet schools | Specialized academic programs

    My child might need extra help. What can I do? A team of professionals at FCPS is dedicated to providing services for children who need specially designed instruction that enables them to demonstrate, to their fullest, the knowledge and skills essential for lifelong learning, social well-being, and active, responsible citizenship. | Special Education Department

    What if my child needs therapy? FCPS provides speech, occupational, and physical therapy as well as academic support and intervention for a range of classroom and social needs. Talk with your school's principal, or call (859) 381-4171.

  • Miscellaneous

    How do I distribute a flyer in the schools? The district has guidelines and requirements for advertising non-FCPS events. | Ad request

    Can I rent a school classroom or district facility? School-related groups and various civic, charitable, governmental, nonprofit, religious, and other organizations and individuals may use school facilities and equipment according to Board of Education policies. | Rental procedures and fees

    Which school board district do I live in? Use the searchable database of voter information to find out. | Boundaries of board districts

    When does the school board meet? The Board of Education holds two regular business meetings each month - one to review the agenda and one to take action. The meetings normally fall on the second and fourth Monday, respectively. | Board meeting schedule

    Does FCPS sell any surplus? Yes, but the district offers no warranties or assurances. Check the Public Surplus site for details.