About the School
Northern Elementary, which lies on the north side of Lexington, offers a Spanish Immersion Strand for grades 2 through 5 where some students spend half of the day immersed in Spanish while learning math and science content. The children get instruction in English for language arts and social studies during the other half of the day. The foreign language immersion teacher teams with the grade-level English teachers to integrate the state's core content.
We also emphasize systems of support that include proactive strategies for defining, teaching, and supporting appropriate student behaviors to create positive school environments. We strive for our students to Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and to Be Safe.
In addition, Northern offers several extracurricular activities such as Knights on Broadway, Girls on the Run, Academic Team, and STLP, and all students have to opportunity to perform on stage throughout the school year. We have an active PTO, too, and love to have families involved in our school!
We exist to guarantee:
- A safe, positive learning environment;
- Use of a data-driven, continuous improvement model;
- A collaborative commitment and positive work culture;
- A standards-based, viable curriculum.
All students will:
- Achieve proficiency in reading, writing, and math by the end of second grade;
- Demonstrate safe, respectful, responsible behavior;
- Master grade-level standards each year.
- High expectations for all students and staff
- Support for all students and staff
- Safe, positive environment for all students and staff