Dear Rising 6th, 7th, and 8th Grade Students and Parents,
The SCAPA Bluegrass Student Council is currently holding elections for the 2020-2021 school year. This is for officers only. Students in rising grade 5 will be offered the opportunity to run for their homeroom representative at the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. All will be notified when that occurs.
The Council is proud to be entering their 5th year at SCAPA Bluegrass. I have been honored to be the teacher liaison of the Council for the past 4 years, but am handing over the gavel to Mrs. Jacque Adkins and Mr. Mike Spaeth for the 2020-2021 school year. However, I would be happy to answer any questions during this election season prior to the new council being formed. Please email me via firstname.lastname@example.org and I should respond within a few days.
Exactly what is the purpose of the Student Council?
The Mission of our Student Council
- To provide actual learning experience in leadership and opportunities for practice in the qualities of good citizenship necessary in a democratic society
- To create in cooperation with the Principal, staff, parents, and students a better school life for the benefit of the whole school community
- To provide students with opportunities of leadership and to develop in all students a sense of responsibility
- To encourage the students in the school to become more aware of how the school is run and to constructively identify and express their needs
- To contribute to overall school development by being involved in school policies and to be a resource in working in partnership with the management of the school
- To act as liaison where appropriate between the students, teaching staff, management, and parents
Each year, the Council readdresses their mission, choosing how and when they will accomplish each point. In the past, some of the chosen activities or involvements have included holding fundraisers and donating to The Lexington Humane Society, Shriner’s Hospitals for Children, and food banks for various organizations for children in the community. The Council has also organized various social events such as movie lock-ins, dances, game nights, white elephant gift giving, as well as many others. Another priority of the Council has been to promote positivity and acts of kindness throughout the student body at SCAPA which has included the most recent “Valentine Share” that were written for all and attached to lockers and desks, along with various acts of kindness each day of Valentine’s week. It was one of the most meaningful activities chosen by the Council and the hope is to continue more ways to enhance comradery and acceptance in our school.
We do hope that you, or your child, will consider sharing their time, thoughts, and efforts with the Council’s leadership team. Please note the DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF FORMS IS TUESDAY, 6/16/20. The forms will be reviewed by teachers and current 8th grade officers on Wednesday, 6/17/20, and announced via website and email soon thereafter. The teacher recommendation forms are only shared with other teacher liaisons, no students. Again, please do not hesitate to email me with any questions.
Paula Garr, Current Student Council Teacher Liaison, 7th/8th Math Teacher
Jacque Adkins, 2020-2021 Student Council Co-Teacher Liaison, 8th Language Arts Teacher
Mike Spaeth, 2020-2021 Student Council Co-Teacher Liaison, 7th/8th Social Studies Teacher