5:30 PM - 11:59 PM V Baseball vs. East Jessamine
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM District Safety Advisory Council
6:00 PM - 11:59 PM Softball vs. Anderson Co.
7:30 PM - 11:59 PM JV Baseball vs. East Jessamine
5:30 PM - 11:59 PM F Baseball vs. Scott Co.
6:00 PM - 11:59 PM Softball @ Estill Co.
1:00 PM - 11:59 PM V Baseball at Western Hills
Dunbar Culinary Team
PLD students compete in the ProStart Invitational and took 4th place. These students made PLD proud! To cook is one thing but to prepare 3 dishes (5 precise knife cuts, 4 cooking methods, full garb, ServSafe) with over 50 strangers watching you, without a recipe or help from your instructor in 55 minutes is a feat in itself. Also, before the competition the students had to create a menu, develop the recipes, calculate costing for each recipe, and each menu item. The judges were the top Executive Chef’s from all over Kentucky!! They were very impressed with our students and offered all of the students who made it to competition a position in the industry if they so choose!! They referred to the students as the “who to watch” in the industry. Please congratulate these students when you see them, they represented Paul Laurence Dunbar very well!
- Sarah Morrison
- Imani Robinson
- Damon Deaton
- Marissa Martineau
Academic Team State Finals
Congratulations to everyone placing at state this weekend! PLD placed 4th overall.
Quick Recall - Quarterfinalists (lost to the state champions by only 1 point)
- Angus Maske, Max Bograd, Shashank Bhatt, David Ma, Zsombor Gal, Aneesh Kadambi
CmPS - Champions (Advancing to international competition in June)
- Jin Cho, Megan Slusarewicz, Eleanor Liu, Reka Gal, Olivia Tussey, Jocelyn Chen, Andy Du, Madi Halwes
- 2nd - Stephen Yin
- 4th - Shashank Bhatt
- 8th - Austin Li
- 3rd - Shashank Bhatt
More individual results will be released after scoring takes place over the next 2-3 weeks.
Prom is April 21, 2018 at the Carrick House from 7:30-11:30
Prom ticket sales are before and after school on the following days:
- March 26th-March 30th- $45.00 per person
- April 9th -13th - $50.00 per person
- April 16-18th - $55.00 per person
A guest to prom is defined as anyone not in the 11th or 12th grade at Dunbar. If you plan on bringing a guest to prom then you need to get a guest approval form in the front office. If your guest attends a different school, their principal must sign off on them attending PLD’s prom. Please make sure to get these forms submitted as quickly as possible. April 16th is the cut off for guest approval.
District Choral Assessment Success!
On Tuesday the PLD choral ensembles, Chamber Choir, Concert Choir, and Women’s Choir, performed at our annual KMEA District Choral Assessment and had great success. All three groups achieved DISTINGUISHED ratings for their performances! They represented PLD very well!
Speech and Debate Team Winners!
Congratulations to the PLD Speech and Debate Team. This past weekend the team engaged in the KHSSL State Speech and Debate Tournaments with outstanding results. The PLD Debate team placed 3rd in the state while the speech team came in second as the state speech runners up. In total we had 25 entries to advance to quarter/semifinals and 13 entries to advance to finals. Six of our students became state champions in their respective events and Coach Neomia Hagans-Flores was named Kentucky’s Debate Coach of the Year. Please see the list below for finalist and placements:
- Novice Public Forum Debate: Ashley Su and Brian See – State Champions
- Varsity Public Forum Debate: Stephanie Yang & Sahar Mohammazadeh – State Champions
- Julia Radhakrishnan- Broadcast announcing- 5th
- Angie Xiao- Declamation- State Champion
- Kelly Chen- Dramatic Interpretation- 6th
- Angie Xiao & Kelly Chen- Duo Acting- 4th
- Austin Li- Extemp- 3rd
- Nasim Mohammadzadeh- Humorous Interpretation- 6th
- Sahar Mohammadzadeh- Impromptu- 2nd
- Luke Sills- Informative Speaking- State Champion
- Sahar Mohammadzadeh- Poetry- State Champion
- Nasim Mohammadzadeh & Cate Cunningham- Improv Duo- 4th
All of the students put forward performances that make the administration and staff of PLD proud.
Scholastic Art and Writing Medals
Please Congratulate the following students who received Scholastic Art and Writing Medals:
Jenny Lee received a Gold Medal for Digital Art and a Silver Medal for Comic Art!!
Megan Slusarewicz received a Silver Medal for Poetry!!!!
Here are our winners from our regional FBLA competition from Friday, March 9th atEKU. Each of these students now qualify for the state competition in Louisville on April 16-18.
- Coding & Programming: Helen Pang - 2nd
- Digital Video Production: Rohan Palla, Lolith Manukonda, Saif Ashfaq - 2nd
- Website Design: Nancy Zhang, Wendy Wei, Dallas Rager - 3rd
- Agribusiness: William Xiao - 2nd
- Business Calculations: Stephen Yin - 1st
- Business Law: John Adkins - 2nd
- Computer Problem Solving: Erik Han - 2nd
- Entrepreneurship: Sai Naidu, Rehan Ghanta, Kevin Jing - 1st
- Insurance & Risk Management: Max Qiu - 2nd
- Personal Finance: Kelly Chen - 2nd
- Securities & Investments: Helen Pang - 1st
- Impromptu Speaking: Eleanor Liu - 2nd
- Introduction to Public Speaking: Abbi Fister - 2nd
Recognize teachers and staff who make a difference
Please take a moment to recognize teachers and staff who have helped you, gone above and beyond, or who have done something that you feel needs to be recognized. Nominated staff will receive certificates with your recommendation that they receive a Teacher PRIDE award.