Our thriving Pre-Engineering Program is designed to provide every student with the skills needed to succeed in such mathematically rigorous and technical fields as engineering, architecture, medicine, computer programming, mathematics, biology, chemistry, and physics. The program emphasizes higher-order thinking skills by using technology to solve real-world problems. Students can see applications of the math and science skills they are learning as well as apply them in the classroom through a challenging curriculum.
Tuesday, September 14, 2021 6:00 pm in the Lafayette Cafeteria
Thursday, September 23, 2021 6:00 in the Lafayette Cafeteria
To apply for the Lafayette Pre-Engineering Program beginning 2022-2023, you must:
- Complete the district's online application between August 16 and October 7, 2021.
- Complete and submit the Student Questionnaire between August 16 and October 21, 2021. You will need to provide the names/email addresses of a science and math teacher from your middle school. These teachers will then be emailed by the Pre-Engineering Directors and asked to complete a recommendation survey. You will also select a date to take the IOWA Assessments in Math and Science (Friday, November 5, 2021 from 5:00-7:00 pm OR Saturday, November 20, 2021 from 9:00-11:00 am ) Please note: Those students applying to MSTC at Dunbar and/or the Liberal Arts Academy at Hencry Clay should still plan to test with them.
- Complete and submit the Math and Science sections of the Parent Survey for Gifted and Talented Educational Services between August 16 and October 21, 2021. Only one form needs to be submitted. If you have completed one with your application to Dunbar's MSTC or Henry Clay Liberal Arts Academy, then please do NOT complete another form.
- Take the IOWA Assessments in Math and Science. (Friday November 5th or Saturday November 20th if you are tesing with Lafayette)
- If you are not currently enrolled in an FCPS middle school, then have your parents obtain a copy of your middle school transcript for the 6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade from your middle school registrar or counselor. Private school transcripts must be emailed OR mailed/postmarked by November 25, 2021. If you are currently enrolled in an FCPS middle school, then this will be provided automatically.
- Review the program rules and regulations.
Note: ALL students enrolling must be entering a level of Advanced Geometry or above in mathematics.
The following will be used to determine acceptance into the Pre-Engineering Program.
- IOWA Math Score
- IOWA Science Score
- MOST RECENT MAP Math Score
- Cumulative GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Math Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Courses GPA (6th, 7th and first grading period of the 8th grade)
- Science Teacher Recommendation
- Math Teacher Recommendation
- Completion of the Student Questionnaire
Due to the cap on our enrollment, many well-deserving students are placed on the waitlist. You will be notified as being accepted, waitlisted, or declined by EMAIL January 10-11, 2022 . You will have seven days (not business) to respond to an acceptance offer. Waitlisted students will be contacted according to space availability if someone declines an offer.
If you have any questions, please contact Diane Remley (Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Directors: Taylor Steele and Seth Young
**Students assigned to other high schools may also apply. Transportation is not guaranteed.**