October 3, 2019
October 4, 2019
November 5, 2019
November 27, 2019
November 28, 2019
November 29, 2019
Family Resource Center
In 2019 Maxwell successfully received a grant to establish a Family Resource Center (FRC). Our joint FRC with Ashland Elementary is coordinated by Tonisha Broadus. A survey has been developed to garner important information from the families of each school in order to help drive the focus of work. Thank you to the families who completed the survey at our welcome event on August 8 th . If you did not get the opportunity to complete the survey on that day, please take some time to complete the form by the end of the month.
FCPS Magnet/Special Programs Application
Online application | The 2019 window is Aug. 15 to Oct. 7 for the 2020-21 school year. Please note that the system is not a firstcome, first-served system. Applications may be submitted anytime during the window, and all receive equal consideration. Please note that families will need to complete an application for any children who they would like to enroll in the program for kindergarten. You must have an application on file for your child to be considered for the lottery.
Morning Drop-Off Safety
As you continue to refine your routine for the new school year, please find below important tips to keep everyone safe during the morning dropoff. Thank you for helping us to have a safe year!
- The building doors open at 7:15 a.m. daily and staff will be present to welcome your child to the building.
- When dropping off your child in the car lane please pull up as far as possible. Staff will assist your child in exiting the vehicle.
- For your safety, please observe the no U-turn sign at the drop-off lane.
- Please be mindful if you park across the street and walk your child to the building that you do not inadvertently block a driveway or other vehicle.
- Please only use the designated crosswalk to cross the street. The crossing guard is here to assist to make sure that children and families safely navigate the traffic.
- Announcements start at 7:40 this year and classroom instruction officially begins at 7:45. Any student arriving after this time will need to be signed in at the office by an adult.
Please find below some helpful hints regarding afternoon dismissal.
- The school day officially ends at 2:35 p.m. students who are parent pick-up will be released from the gym. Enter the gym through the rear door, adjacent to the playground.
- Parents need to show their official car tag or a picture of the tag to enter the gym. If you do not have a tag, you need to first stop by the office.
- Please note that cars should not park in the bus lane or in front of the gates during afternoon/bus dismissal. We need to make sure that all buses have safely left before any cars attempt to pull into these spots.
Maxwell has a new app that is designed to provide families with a single landing point for information for the school. The app may be obtained by searching for Maxwell Elementary on your phone’s app store. Be sure to look for the app that contains our school’s logo.
Once you download the app you will be able to set your preferences and receive updates as they become available. The home page contains links to social media, Seesaw, and other helpful information. We will continue to develop the app over the year so that it becomes a viable communication tool that you will be able to rely upon for current information!
Embassy of Spain in D.C. names Maxwell Its School of the Year