Helping Teachers and Parents Help Our Planet
This area is reserved for current topics that are relevant to you and your students in your efforts toward improved sustainability in your school. Have a green fundraising idea or need help on an initiative not listed below? Email Tresine Logsdon with suggestions.
52nd Anniversary of Earth Week: 2022
2021-2022 Sustainability Coordinator Resources
GreenSTEM Data Collection Sheets
Break Shutdown Checklists
Tree Week 2021
NTI 2DL Resources + Partnerships
2020 EE Online: Meeting Teachers Where They Are
In response to teacher demand, STEM & Our Environment NGSS-aligned extension and enrichment activities + resources are NOW AVAILABLE! These activities are designed to allow 4th-12th grade teachers and students to leverage data collected during STEM & Our Environment lesson and apply data and new skills towards a school-based Sustainability Improvement Project. Check out the activities. Special thanks to Sustainability Coordinators Josh Radner (Yates Elementary) and Julie Moore (SCAPA Bluegrass).
Data Sheets for investigations:
Farm to School
Farm to School Lesson Powerpoints:
Outdoor Classroom Coalition
The Outdoor Classroom Coalition, launched in June 2018, is an alliance of community partners, local businesses and educators who have a passion for growing and nurturing Outdoor Classrooms in our city.
Outdoor Classroom Action Items
1. Develop a protocol to hep connect school Outdoor Classroom projects to community partners + resources to help schools with primary needs: supplies, design, summer maintenance, curriculum integration, culinary connections
2. Develop curricular + wellness justification for outdoor learning programming to begin a dialogue with FCPS Facilities on design guidelines
3. Define critical needs and apply Coalition support to each 18-19 Pilot School (William Wells Brown, Frederick Douglas, Deep Springs)
4. Leverage Google Classroom as online space for schools to share best practices, lessons-learned & asynchronous dialogue: Outdoor Classroom Manual
5. Leverage KAEE Outdoor Classroom Symposium to connect community partners with schools (strands: gardens, native/pollinator, trees)
6. Discuss high school internships (Locust Trace Agriscience Center, The Learning Center) and college interns (UK College of Ag, Food & the Environment and UK Office of Student Engagement)
To chat and share best practices, ideas and challenges, visit the Outdoor Classroom Coalition Google + Community page.
2021 PD Make Outdoor Learning Work For You, Sagan Goodpaster UK STEM Education PhD candidate
Outdoor Classroom Brochure (checklist)
Outdoor Classroom Research- Social-emotional learning
Photo of students learning in the school garden at Athens-Chilesburg Elementary
In addition to Go Green + Earn Green funds, teachers/students/parents may find applicable grant opportunities here.
Interested in hosting a Sustainability Fair at your school? Here is a list of community partners.
State & Nationally Recognized Green School Programs
Below is a list of state & nationally recognized Green School programs that schools can choose to participate in for reward and recognition. For help on how to participate in these non-binding, easy and fun program, contact Tresine Logsdon.
Julius Marks Elementary and Rosa Parks Elementary step out as the leader in No Idling. In partnership with KY Division for Air Quality and Earth Day Network, JME and RPE students collected idling data before the campaign, promoted the campaign through flyers, e-mails and newsletters, collected data early and late in the campaign and rewarded parents for their participation. For a full packet of resources from FCPS to get your school involved in No Idling, contact Tresine Logsdon
KY NEED Classroom Presentations
1-2 hr classroom presentations can be scheduled in conjunction with your energy unit of study as introductory, support or culminating activities. Contact Tyler Cvitkovic to schedule a visit.