Gifted Accelerated Program (grades 4-8)
Starting in 2019-20, this service-delivery option is available at Ashland and Meadowthorpe elementary schools, and at Winburn Middle and Tates Creek Middle. The accelerated program offers a full-time service for academically and intellectually gifted and talented students in grades 4-8. Eligible students are placed in a rank order system for a possible offer at one of these schools based on the child’s primary residence.
Note: Students who were in the middle school program may continue into Henry Clay High School's Liberal Arts Academy.
- Ninth Stanine Test Scores (96 to 99%) on a standardized norm referenced general ability test, along with multiple pieces of other types of supporting evidence. Tests used are the Cognitive Abilities Test or the Otis Lennon Ability Test. Other appropriate individual tests may be used in special consideration circumstances.
- Ninth Stanine Test Scores (96 to 99%) on standardized norm referenced achievement tests in both reading and math, along with multiple pieces of other types of supporting evidence in both reading and math. Tests used are the IOWA Assessments or the Basic Achievement Skills Inventory Test in reading and math. Other appropriate individual tests may used in special consideration circumstances.
The core curriculum mandated by the state is compacted and differentiated as needed to meet the abilities, needs, and interests of all students. At a glance:
- GT-endorsed educators;
- Accelerated and enriched content and learning environment;
- Differentiated content, process, and products;
- Opportunities for lateral explorations, research, and constructing connections;
- Critical, creative, and problem-solving skills and processes;
- Creation of products that summarize and share the learning with others;
- Opportunities for in-depth learning, independent study, parallel studies, and constructing connections using broad-based issues and problems facing today's society.
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/accelerated
Families of FCPS students currently in grades 3-7 -- Please complete our online Interest/Application Form between Aug. 15 and Oct. 7. After the deadline, staffers review student data and then contact families about testing opportunities or eligibility.
Private school and home-school families -- You must either apply online or pick up a paper application from the Gifted & Talented Programs Office, room 206 at the district office, 701 E. Main St. The application window is Aug. 15 through Oct. 7 for the following school year.
Note: This is not a first-come, first-served system. Applications may be submitted anytime during the interest window, and all receive equal consideration.