Fayette County Public Schools Sustainability
Progress is not inevitable.
It is the result of choices we make together.
Tree Week 2022
Lexington's 5th Annual Tree Week Celebrated Across FCPS
New Campus Solar Benches
Five new campus solar benches, courtesy of Bluegrass Youth Sustainability Council
Introducing Sustainability Superstars
Green & healthy schools don’t happen by accident! They are the result of dedicated partnerships among students, teachers and staff.
FCPS Outdoor Classroom Manual
The instructional, social-emotional and wellness benefits of Outdoor Classrooms are numerous and compelling.
Cassidy Elementary- 2022 National Green Ribbon School
Congratulations to Cassidy Elementary for earning National Green Ribbon School recognition from the US Department of Education!
Fayette County Public Schools will be a global leader in the three pillars of sustainability: environmental literacy, energy efficiency, and student wellness.
To empower students to create change through enduring improved sustainability by equipping school and community stakeholders with the tools and knowledge to protect our natural, human, and fiscal resources.
- Embrace a student-driven model
- Create mindful engagement of diverse stakeholders and ideas
- Utilize data-driven monitoring to inform decisions
- Provide purposeful, continuous, comprehensive support to students, teachers, and staff.
- Educate students, staff, and community on the sustainable use of energy and the importance of energy efficiency;
- Reduce the our environmental impact through the sustainable use of natural resources;
- Reduce energy consumption in all buildings through sustainable practices to divert district funds from utiities to the classroom;
- Empower administrators to make sustainable decisions that favorably impact the use of energy at their site;
- Build robust and lasting relationships between FCPS and community partners;
- Promote energy awareness and stimulate sustainable energy-efficient behaviors among all occupants and users;
- Engage students in active responsible citizenship through sustainable activities;
- Increase student achievement;
- Encourage the sustainable use of school facilities as a hands-on learning lab;
- Provide leadership opportunities to students;
- Teach real-life skills that promote sustainable and energy-efficient behaviors that students will take home; and
- Promote FCPS as sustainable and responsible stewards of the environment and of community tax dollars.
Our flagship initiative for students is SEE KY (Sustain. Educate. Empower.), which is a four-step program that guides hands-on investigations of energy data, energy awareness campaigns, and school improvement projects.
FCPS has also adopted green building practices in all our construction and renovation projects to ensure that our schools are environmentally friendly. In addition, FCPS received 2020 U.S. Department of Education Green Ribbon School district award.
energy and sustainability curriculum coordinator
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/sustainability