School Zoning Committee
As new schools are built, the Fayette County Board of Education's School Zoning Committee considers changes in attendance boundaries to even out the student population. This work typically involves parents, teachers, FCPS administrators, two school board members, a district Equity Council representative, a city planning official, a home builder, and other community stakeholders. The committee's meetings are open to the public, and community input is welcome throughout the process.
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/zones
The district's newest school, at 4801 Athens Boonesboro Rd., opened in the fall of 2019 with a capacity of 750 students. The zoning committee's plan moved residences along the Richmond Road corridor on the East/Southeast side of Lexington, shifting about 500 students to the new Brenda Cowan Elementary.
Committee's 2018 meetings
- June 5 | Introduction of the 2018 process | Minutes (June 5)
- June 12 | Davis Demographics intro | Handout (June 12) | Minutes (June 12)
- June 19 | Various scenarios, with Q&A | Handouts (June 19) | Minute (June 19)
- July 10 | More scenarios, with Q&A | Handouts (July 10) | Minutes (July 10)
- July 24 | Student numbers, maps, and growth projections | Handout (July 24) | Minutes (July 24)
- Aug. 9 | Scenario H for new school (Aug. 9) | Scenario for Veterans Park Elementary (Aug. 9) | Minutes (Aug. 9)
- Sept. 6 | Community forums | Minutes (Sept. 6)
- Oct. 8: Proposal to the school board at their planning meeting
- Oct. 22, 2018: Presentation at the school board's action meeting
Committee's work in 2015
The school board approved revised attendance boundaries in June 2015 to incorporate three new schools: Garrett Morgan Elementary east of I-75 off Polo Club Boulevard, Coventry Oak Elementary off Georgetown Road, and Frederick Douglass High School on Winchester Road. The maps below reflect those changes.
Effective in 2016-17:
Effective in 2017-18: