Russell Cave Elementary School started as a one-room school house constructed prior to 1900 on Mt. Brilliant's Farm, and was named for a cave that was located on the farm.
Russell Cave High School was constructed on the school's present site on Russell Cave Road in 1916. The building was destroyed by fire in the spring of 1926, and the students attended classes first in a tent and then in a barn until the school was rebuilt. Russell Cave became an elementary school in the early 1950s and has since been renovated.