December 20, 2018
December 21, 2018
December 24, 2018
December 25, 2018
December 26, 2018
Gift and Talented Screening and Auditions
Dance and Drama Auditions—Nov. 2nd
All recommendation forms and self-assessments due Nov. 15th
Visual Arts Portfolios and Auditions—Nov. 20th
Below is a link to the information provided to the students about gifted and talented screenings and auditions in the Visual and Performing Arts onto one website.
Link to Information
- Story Character Day!!!
- Spirit and Hat Day
- No Preschool
- K Field Trip Lexington Children's Theater 9:30
- No SCHOOL - Election Day
- We have had some big changes in the teaching staff at Dixie that I wanted to let you know about. Two of our intervention teachers, Laura Elliott and Margaret Butski, have been hired by the District to work in newly designated CSI schools. We are so happy for their promotions and wish them well. As a result, I have transferred RaeAnna Fields into the Reading Intervention position from 2nd I am currently working on replacements for math intervention and 2nd grade. We are hoping to have all new staff members in place by November 1st or soon after.
- The following students have been named Students of the Month for their reliability: Madison Miller, Tariq McPherson, Aaleiyah Clowers and Lucas Stoner – K; Grace Siguenza, Vin Doolin, Willow Lester and Gaia Williams – 1st; Tynlee Lahde, Brianna Harper, Emmett Eppley and Candice Tanmas – 2nd; Zaria Barber, Harshan Karthik, David Jones and Kymani Pinkston – 3rd; Olivia Smith, Arianna Fisher, Prisilla Nolasco Castro and Kyleigh Curtis – 4th; Haylee Lefever, Aidean Sithviong and Grant Evans – 5th. Congratulations to these students. I will be celebrating their success with a pizza party. We are so proud of their efforts!
- The district will hold a Family University on November 3, 2016 from 8:30-1:30 at the Success Academy (1555 Georgetown Road). Please join FCPS staff and volunteers for this informative and free event with your family. Breakfast, lunch and door prizes will be provided. Families may register at: fcps.net/famu.
- It is hard to believe, but we have already completed a quarter of the school year! Please take time to meet with teachers regarding your child’s progress over this first quarter. Teachers will be holding conferences between now and the beginning of November. My goal is that every teacher meets with every child’s parent/guardian minimally two times per year. Please help us to make this happen!
- Please sign up to be a volunteer at Dixie! We would love you to be a part of our school family. To sign up to volunteer, please visit https://webapps.fcps.net/volunteer or go to Dixie’s website and click on the volunteer application. (Please see below).
This week I would like to highlight our new kindergarten teaching assistant, Deborah Pero-Gamble. Deborah was hired at Dixie last year as a long-term sub in our pre-school program. She came here after working at UK for 13 years in the managed call center. She has two children: a son who is in 3rd grade at Dixie and a daughter who is 4 years old. She also has two dogs. In her free time she enjoys reading, cooking and hanging out with her family. She is a life-long resident of Lexington. She said this is “one of the most interesting jobs that she has ever done” and that there is “something new and different every day.” Deborah has certainly been a wonderful addition to our Dixie staff. Please be sure that you welcome her!
Senator Thomas Visits Dixie Elementary
On February 12th, Senator Thomas met with the 5th grade class at Dixie Elementary. Upon entering he was greeted by four OMAC (Operation Making a Change) members and was escorted to the library where he spoke to the classes. During this time, he shared his personal educational journey, which included attending Bryan Station High School, Dartmouth College, and Harvard Law School. Students researched Senator Thomas’ life and were well prepared for the Q and A session that ensued. Senator Thomas encouraged Dixie students to take full advantage of their education and reminded them to not let obstacles stand in their way, sharing, “There’s no such thing as good luck. Luck equals preparation, plus opportunity.” Dixie students were also invited to the State House to be a Page in his office during this legislative session. His visit to Dixie concluded with a student lead tour of the building and him leaving the students two books, one about Kentucky facts, and the other The Legislative Process.
- There is an opportunity for free tutoring for your children at LTMS on Saturdays. Please see the flyer attached below for more information.
- There are also free dental clinics being held at UK. Please see the attached below for more information.
- As you know, the Design Thinking Committee has been working to revise the school’s Mission and Vision Statements. We have been getting student, staff, parent and community member input to develop a new mission and vision for the school. We still need parent and community members’ help and feedback! If you were not able to attend one of the information sessions, please feel free to contact Mr. Bailes if you would like to complete a survey at Mackenzie.email@example.com.
- We have several students who won a ride in a limo from parents who donated to the Wellness blood drive. Winners include: Evie Cox, Charlie Tracy, Maxwell McLaughlin, Brynleigh Howard, MacKenzie Davis and Dakota Christian. Congratulations to our winners.
- Please return your packets from the SchoolStore.
DIXIE MAGNET ELEM PTA 38509,
TO USE THE KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM:
- Simply encourage your members to register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If a member does not yet have a Kroger Plus card, please let them know that they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number or name of organization, select organization from list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after your member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
The Community Programs Staff