Mission, Vision and Magnet Survey
We are excited to have your child join our kindergarten school family in the fall! Your child’s first year of school will certainly be a memorable one as they will make new friends and learn new things! Our goal is to help our students and families make a smooth transition into kindergarten by creating a positive, welcoming environment.
We are excited to invite your child to Dixie’s Kindergarten Camp! Kindergarten Camp is the perfect opportunity for your child to meet the kindergarten teachers, explore the kindergarten classroom, and meet new friends! Kindergarten Camp will provide your child with a fun and exciting introduction to school while lessening any fears and anxieties he or she might have about their transition to kindergarten.
While your child attends Kindergarten Camp, we will use a screening tool called Brigance to collect baseline data on your child. This information will help us get to know your child and provide us with a snapshot of your child’s strengths and areas of growth so we can begin to plan engaging instruction to best meet his or her needs.
Kindergarten Camp will be on Wednesday, August 1st and Thursday, August 2nd. There will be a morning session from 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and afternoon session from 12:30 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. each day. Your child will only attend ONE session. We would also like to invite you to attend a brief parent meeting, which will begin 30 minutes before each session. The morning parent meeting will begin at 8:30 a.m. and the afternoon parent meeting will begin at 12:00 p.m. You should have selected a Kindergarten Camp session for your child upon enrollment. If you were unable to select a session or need to make a change, please contact the office.
We look forward to meeting our newest Dixie Dolphins and we can't wait to watch them learn and grow this year!
Your School's Family Engagement
🌟 2017-2018 🌟
Look how you brought your school community together this year!
- 60 teachers 🤓 523 families 👪 736 students 👫
- 1789 moments shared on Class Story 📸
- 8078 conversations via Messaging 💬
- 292 posts translated 🌐
- 61217 parent views of updates 👀
- 8131 parent likes of posts shared ❤️
- We will hold a breakfast for volunteers on Monday, May 21, 2018 at 8:30 in the cafeteria. Please join us if you have volunteered at all this year at Dixie.
- We will host our Budding Artists Opening & Reception on Monday, May 21, 2018 at 8:30. This is for all students who will have their artwork displayed in the cafeteria along with their families.
- Please encourage your child to take part in our summer reading program. Information and materials have been sent home. Students will need to record the reading that they do over the summer onto the Reading Logs. A prize will be awarded to each grade level winner who reads the most over the summer! In addition, if we read more than any other school in Fayette County, we will hold a school-wide dance party.
- Students may read online for free this summer, and record this information on their forms at the following:
Access thousands of books right now by going to MyCapstoneLibrary.com and entering:
- We will be hosting a move-up day for our students on Friday, May 25, 2018 in the morning. Students will have an opportunity to meet teachers who will be in their complex for the 2018-19 school year. Letters will go home in student folders at the end of the school year from your child’s new teacher.
- Thank you for sending your child to school on time, well rested, and prepared to take their KPREP test. We also appreciate all the testing treats you provided. The testing went smoothly with no glitches, thanks to your help.
- Please be sure to fill out the family survey online. This helps provide us with vital feedback. You should have received an e-mail with the information. Otherwise, I’ve attached access to it here: https://survey.k12insight.com/p/fcpskyfamily18
- This will probably be my last newsletter of the school year. Thank you for all of your support this year. I am looking forward to the 2018-19 school year! I hope you have a fantastic summer with your children.
Reminders:Don’t forget to have your child immunized against Hepatitis A over the summer. This will be a requirement for registering for school for the 2018-19 school year.
Doing things you enjoy is a natural way to relieve stress and find your happy place. Even when you’re down, you may find pleasure in simple things like going for a walk, catching up with a friend, or reading a good book.
When stress makes you feel bad, do something that makes you feel good, even if only for 10 or 15 minutes. Some of these activities may work for you:
- Make art -- draw, color, paint, or play a musical instrument.
- Work on a scrapbook or photo album to focus on good memories.
- Read a book, short story or magazine.
- Meet a friend for coffee or a meal.
- Play a favorite sport like golf, tennis, or basketball.
- Do a hobby like sewing, knitting, or making jewelry.
- Play with your kids or pets – outdoors if possible.
- Listen to music or watch an inspiring performance.
- Take a walk in nature.
- Take a relaxing bath and feel the stress wash away.
- Meditate or practice yoga.
- Work in the garden or do a home improvement project.
- Go for a run or bike ride to clear your head.
The key is to find your groove and make it a practice. You’ll be amazed at how quickly you may start to feel better once you disrupt the cycle of stress.
Senator Thomas Visits Dixie Elementary
On February 12th, Senator Thomas met with the 5th grade class at Dixie Elementary. Upon entering he was greeted by four OMAC (Operation Making a Change) members and was escorted to the library where he spoke to the classes. During this time, he shared his personal educational journey, which included attending Bryan Station High School, Dartmouth College, and Harvard Law School. Students researched Senator Thomas’ life and were well prepared for the Q and A session that ensued. Senator Thomas encouraged Dixie students to take full advantage of their education and reminded them to not let obstacles stand in their way, sharing, “There’s no such thing as good luck. Luck equals preparation, plus opportunity.” Dixie students were also invited to the State House to be a Page in his office during this legislative session. His visit to Dixie concluded with a student lead tour of the building and him leaving the students two books, one about Kentucky facts, and the other The Legislative Process.
- There is an opportunity for free tutoring for your children at LTMS on Saturdays. Please see the flyer attached below for more information.
- There are also free dental clinics being held at UK. Please see the attached below for more information.
- As you know, the Design Thinking Committee has been working to revise the school’s Mission and Vision Statements. We have been getting student, staff, parent and community member input to develop a new mission and vision for the school. We still need parent and community members’ help and feedback! If you were not able to attend one of the information sessions, please feel free to contact Mr. Bailes if you would like to complete a survey at Mackenzie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We have several students who won a ride in a limo from parents who donated to the Wellness blood drive. Winners include: Evie Cox, Charlie Tracy, Maxwell McLaughlin, Brynleigh Howard, MacKenzie Davis and Dakota Christian. Congratulations to our winners.
- Please return your packets from the SchoolStore.
DIXIE MAGNET ELEM PTA 38509,
TO USE THE KROGER COMMUNITY REWARDS PROGRAM:
- Simply encourage your members to register online at krogercommunityrewards.com
- Be sure to have your Kroger Plus card handy and register your card with your organization after you sign up.
- If a member does not yet have a Kroger Plus card, please let them know that they are available at the customer service desk at any Kroger.
- Click on Sign In/Register
- Most participants are new online customers, so they must click on SIGN UP TODAY in the ‘New Customer?’ box.
- Sign up for a Kroger Rewards Account by entering zip code, clicking on favorite store, entering your email address and creating a password, agreeing to the terms and conditions
- You will then get a message to check your email inbox and click on the link within the body of the email.
- Click on My Account and use your email address and password to proceed to the next step.
- Click on Edit Kroger Community Rewards information and input your Kroger Plus card number.
- Update or confirm your information.
- Enter NPO number or name of organization, select organization from list and click on confirm.
- To verify you are enrolled correctly, you will see your organization’s name on the right side of your information page.
- REMEMBER, purchases will not count for your group until after your member(s) register their card(s).
- Do you use your phone number at the register? Call 800-576-4377, select option 4 to get your Kroger Plus card number.
- Members must swipe their registered Kroger Plus card or use the phone number that is related to their registered Kroger Plus card when shopping for each purchase to count.
The Community Programs Staff