The History of Our School: from Athens to ACE
Athens School was originally a two-room school in Lexington located at 6270 Athens-Walnut Hill Road. In 1912, a four-room building was constructed to house grades 1-12. In 1927, a high school was built across the street, and the other building was used for elementary students. An addition was built onto the high school in 1967. The following year, the high school was converted to an elementary school and the original four-room structure was torn down.
In 2006, Athens Elementary closed its doors to move to a new location at 930 Jouett Creek Drive. The name of the school also acquired the Chilesburg community name and was renamed Athens-Chilesburg Elementary, which we often refer to as ACE. Today, we serve grades K-5.