We work with school leaders to ensure a safe environment for students, staff, families, and visitors while on school property. We have multiple officers who are assigned to various geographical areas. Although we are separate from the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Division of Police, all of our officers are certified through the Kentucky Department of Criminal Justice Training. This gives our officers the same arrest powers as any other officer in the state. Our officers also attend 40 hours of annual training that the state requires of all sworn law enforcement officers.
Among our duties:
- Enforce criminal laws based upon the Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS).
- Deter criminal and/or disruptive activities. The officer’s presence in school is a reminder and assurance of immediate response.
- Provide positive role models and serve as mentors for students. Officers in uniform are in the schools every day, walking the halls, talking with students and establishing positive relationships that go beyond the geographical boundaries of the school and, in many instances, the students' graduation.
- Train school staff in emergency preparedness.
- Teach and participate in instructional activities.
- Provide support at extracurricular activities such as athletic contests, proms, and graduations.
Want to join our team?
How to Help:
Students can help keep schools safe by anonymously reporting crimes or potential problems to the Crime Stoppers in Schools program:
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/police