Degrees and Certifications:
Mrs. Kristi Fehr
One of my greatest accomplishments over the past 24 years as an elementary teacher is providing a solid education rooted in real-life experiences with energy, enthusiasm and educationally sound wisdom. I also consider it an honor that I am blessed to share science content knowledge and best practices with other educators from across the district through my professional learning community. Together, we are making great gains in student achievement and creating life-long learners! I owe a great deal of gratitude to my husband and daughter for always helping out with whatever projects I’m brewing up in the lab!
Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio 2000 Master of Education, Montessori Education
Xavier University, Cincinnati, Ohio 1994 Bachelor of Science, Montessori Education, Magna Cum Laude
Certified, Commonwealth of Kentucky, grades 1-4, and 5-6 (self-contained), 1995-2019
Certified, State of North Carolina, grades K-6, 2001-2011
Certified, State of Ohio, grades K-8, 1994-1998
Certified, American Montessori Society, ages 6-9, 1994-Life
Science Lab Teacher, Grades K-5
2014-Present, Cassidy Elementary School, Lexington, Kentucky
- Actively engage 30+ classrooms (~725 students) in the Next Generation Science Standards using citizen science project based learning.
- Monitor and provide feedback on nearly 150 science fair projects, provide instructional programming for the Parent Info Night, and recruit and organize nearly 40 outside volunteers for the annual science fair. Assist award winners to compete in district, regional, and state fairs.
- Lead Scientists and Engineers Empowering Kids (SEEK) Science Club for 3rd-5th graders bringing in STEM leaders from community.
- Organize and recruit volunteers for 2017 Discovery Day, 2016 Discovery Day, and 2015 Earth Week Extravaganza
- Recruit engineers annually to lead hands-on sessions with multiple classes during National Engineers Week.
- Mentor pre-service teachers from local colleges and universities through observations and lesson development and implementation.
- Partnered with bio-systems engineer at U.K. to implement a science garden at Cassidy. The garden includes a handicap-accessible raised bed garden; butterfly habitat; rain garden; sensory, herb and literature gardens; Kentucky native species area; walkway comprised of two types of permeable pavement and a section of animal tracks, fossils, infiltration station, and informational signage.
- Volunteer Lead Judge at Kentucky American Water Fayette County Public Schools District Science Fair.
Science Lab Teacher, Grades K-5
2008-2014, Liberty Elementary School, Lexington, Kentucky
- Launched comprehensive science program and outdoor classroom for 34 classrooms (850 students) using inquiry-based learning.
- Piloted the first Trout in the Classroom in Kentucky with the local chapter of Trout Unlimited which culminates in a trip to release the fish.
- Partnered with a class in New Mexico through RiverXchange, exchanging ideas about watersheds with pen pals through a private wiki site.
- Planned and orchestrated Family Science Night, Earth Day, National Engineers Week, Science Fair, and Science Fair Share Night.
- Led a science club for 3rd-5th graders that implemented sustainability improvement projects earning awards and grants in the process.
- Designed and implemented a handicap-accessible, school garden with multiple themed plantings to reflect school diversity. Garden included re-circulating stream, a greenhouse which was retrofitted to serve as a rainwater collection site to water the plants, and student designed birdfeeders.
Science Lab Teacher, Grades K-5
2006-2008, Southern Elementary School Lexington, Kentucky
- Implemented hands-on science lessons for 650 students using flashbacks, entry/exit slips and science notebooks as formative assessment.
- Organized and facilitated annual Science Fair, Night of Discoveries, and Mad Science Night.
Lead Teacher, Grades 1-3
2001-2005, Morehead Montessori School, Durham, North Carolina
- Incorporated knowledge from Math Leadership and EnTech trainings into technology projects to teach math, science and language arts.
- Represented school for Facilitative Leadership training and helped guide school as chair of the Site Base Decision Making Team.
- Participated in Teachers and Scientists Collaborating and incorporated lab activities with my 24-28 students.
Lead Teacher, Grades 1-3
1995-2001, Lexington Montessori School, Lexington, Kentucky
- Facilitated individualized lessons in all subject areas with 30 students using the Montessori approach to address the whole child.
- Aided launch of recycling campaign earning $3,000 for school and city park funds.
Lead Teacher, Grades 2-4
1994-1995, Kennedy Montessori School, Louisville, Kentucky
- Co-taught 43 students in all subject areas using Montessori approach and guided students in building math and writing portfolios.
- Created and showed materials for the city’s Kwanzaa parade promoting ethnic diversity.
- Helped establish school’s first Environmental Day and worked with city to implement safe site refuse regulations around school.
- Served on school's Family Engagement Committee and invited to attend a family engagement national conference in Seattle, Washington.
National Awardee, Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematices and Science Teaching, 2019
State Finalist, Kentucky Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching, 2018
Cassidy Elementary Above and Beyond the Curriculum Award, 2018
Kentucky Science Teacher Association (KSTA) Outstanding Elementary Science Teacher of the Year Award, 2012
Fayette County Public Schools Outstanding Elementary Science Teacher of the Year Award, 2012
Toyota Environmental Youth Leadership Award, 2011
Morehead Montessori Teacher of the Year Award, 2005
Wal-Mart Teacher of the Year Award, 1997
ENVIRONMENTAL AND SUSTAINABILITY AWARDS
Kentucky Association for Environmental Education Outstanding K-12 School, 2018
Schoolyard Habitat®, Selected by Subaru Loves the Earth Campaign with the National Wildlife Federation, valued at $2,000, 2017
Golden Tree Sustainability Award, Top 3 Pillar Champion of a Green & Healthy School, Fayette County Public Schools (FCPS), 2017
Earth Week Energy Challenge Award, FCPS, $200, 2016
Toyota Environmental Field Day, $600 each year for transportation and student lunches, 2016, 2014, 2011
Kentucky American Excellence in Water Education Award, $500, 2012
KY Green and Healthy Schools: School in Progress Award, Candidate School Award (multiple years)
LFUCG Elite WasteBuster Partner Award (9 years), LFUCG Water Partner Award (8 years), LFUCG Energy Partner Award (6 years)
EDUCATIONAL LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES
3D Assessment for Learning Using Google Suite, Notable Presenter at KSTA 46th Annual Conference and Professional Learning, November 2018
Planning Ahead: User Friendly Outdoor Learning Tips, Presenter at KY Association for Environmental Education (KAEE), Outdoor Learning Symposium, June 2018
Energy is Elementary, Team presenter at KSTA 44th Annual Conference and Professional Learning, November 2016
Creating Engaged Learners with a Science Garden, Co-presenter at KAEE Be the Change! State Conference, September 2016
Deconstructing Standards & Learning Targets, Formative Assessment Mini-Conference: Kentucky Association of School Councils, June 2010
District and/or Regional Presentations
Assessment for Learning Using Google Forms, Presenter, Innovations for Learning Conference, June 2018
More Alternatives to Food Rewards, Presenter, Simple and Sensible School Wellness Workshop, March 2017
Ideas for Solar Power Module Implementation, Presenter, University of KY Energy Literacy PD, June 2016
Alternatives to Food Rewards, Presenter, Simple and Sensible School Wellness Workshop, March 2016
Magnetic Interactions Using NGSS Crosscutting Concepts, Science Leadership Network Team Presenter, Fayette County Public Schools, May 2013
Macroinvertebrates and Water Quality, 5th Anniversary of Toyota Environmental Education Center and Nature Trail, April 2012
Digital Microscopes in the Classroom, Science Leadership Network Team Presenter, Fayette County Public Schools, June 2011
Looking at Learning, Digital Notebooking in Science, Science Leadership Network Team Presenter, Fayette County Public Schools, November 2010
Five E’s of Instruction for Summer School Teachers, Science Leadership Network Team Presenter, Fayette County Public Schools, June 2010
PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES & AFFILIATIONS
Selected Member, Fayette County Public Schools Outdoor Classroom Coalition, 2018-Present
Selected Member, Cassidy Elementary Leadership Team, 2018-Present
Selected Member, Teacher Advisory Board for Bluegrass Greensource, 2017-Present
Consultant, Pearson, Helped KY Department of Education in the development of Kentucky KAS Science Summative Assessment, 2016-2018
Teacher Leader, Energy is Elementary, Advised and helped present energy topics to teachers throughout KY involved in grant, 2015-2017
Performance Task Developer, Fayette County Public Schools, Common Assignment Development Team, 2015
Consultant, University of Kentucky Center for Applied Energy Research (CAER), Collaborated with scientists to develop and pilot energy modules that address NGSS and promote STEM to all students, and helped orchestrate participation in CAER Energy Fair, 2013-Present
Selected Member, Science Design and Development Team, Developed a district curriculum map and pacing guide for the NGSS, 2013-2014
Member, National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) and Kentucky Science Teachers Association (KSTA), 2011-Present
Selected Member, Fayette County Public Schools Sustainability Coordinator at School Level, 2010-Present
Selected Member and Facilitator, Science Leadership Network, Led a Professional Learning Community (PLC), 2010-2013
Presenter, PLC and Content Academies, Facilitating Operational Communities for Understanding in Science (FOCUS), 2009-2010
Lead Teacher, Facilitating Operational Communities for Understanding in Science Content Academy (FOCUS) Grant Project, Participated in 80+ hours of PD per year to enhance research-based instructional practice and to develop science curriculum and assessment for FCPS, 2008-2010
Captain Planet Foundation, ecoSTEM mini grant, $1,000, 2017.
KY Association for Environmental Education grant, Kentucky Environmental Learning Plan Pilot School, $2,250, 2015-2016.
Rain Garden grant, Bluegrass Greensource, $500, 2015.
Department for Energy Development and Independence (DEDI) grant through FCPS Sustainability Improvement Project, $1000, 2015.
DEDI grant through Fayette County Public Schools Sustainability Improvement Project, $800, 2014
DEDI grant through Bluegrass Greensource, $800, 2014.
Reviewed Technical Reports
Agouridis, C.T. and K. Fehr. 2016. Cassidy Elementary School Science Garden: Final Report, Kentucky Association of Environmental Education.
Bennett, J. 2016. I, Humanity. Special thanks and quote from K. Fehr on back cover
Chan, T.C. 2014. Marketing the Green School: Form, Function, and the Future: Form, Function, and the Future. K. Fehr cited on pg. 187
Fehr, Kristi. 2019. School Garden Showcase: Cassidy Elementary. School Garden Showcase: Cassidy Elementary Available: [September 2019]
Fehr, K. 2017. Subaru and NWF Love the Earth. https://www.quantrellsubaru.com/subaru-love-promise.htm Available: [April 2018]
Online Newspaper (cited in)
Cocanougher, L. 2019. Kentucky Teacher. How environmental education can lead to novice reduction. https://www.kentuckyteacher.org/leadership/guest-columns/2019/08/how-environmental-education-can-lead-to-novice-reduction/ Available: [August 2019]
Lane, T. 2014. KY Forward. Supplemental Science: UK energy researchers energize an interest in science for students. https://www.kyforward.com/supplemental-science-uk-energy-researchers-energize-an-interest-in-science-for-students/ Available: [April 2018]
Kentucky Association for Environmental Education Outdoor Learning Symposium. June 21, 2018 Producer: KAEE. Participant, board members, and conference attendees in Video. https://youtu.be/127sADlFKb8 Available: [August 2018]
Cassidy Elementary Science Garden, Subaru Loves the Earth 2017 Campaign with the National Wildlife Federation. June 2017. Producer: Block Marketing, Participant and Class in video. https://vimeo.com/223652699 Available: [April 2018].
UK CAER 101 Inspires the Next Generation of Scientists. April 7, 2016. Producer: University of Kentucky. Participant and science club in Video. https://youtu.be/kmQ7pzpcPvI?t=50s Available: [April 2018].
UK Scientists Energize Lessons for Local Fourth Graders. June 4, 2014. Producer: University of Kentucky. Participant and science club in Video. https://youtu.be/-il-hKh4lz0 Available: [April 2018].
WLXU 93.9 FM, Lexington Community Radio, Teacher Environmental Academy. TS 56:00-1:10:00. LexGoGreen, ep.27: Teacher's Environmental Academy Available: [July 2019]
WLXU 93.9 FM Green Waves Radio, Integrating Environmental Education in the Classroom. TS 7:58-54:03. https://soundcloud.com/lexington-community-radio/green-waves-ep-26-kristi-fehr-cassidy-elementary-science-lab-teacher-080516 Available: [April 2018].
Visual history, Cassidy Science Garden. Available: https://www.flickr.com/photos/141430122@N07/collections/72157672844167691/ Available: [April 2018].