WBL = Work-Based Learning
An apprenticeship promotes hands-on, real-world experience in a field of interest that aligns with the student's CTE pathway. This is a business and industry-driven program that creates a pipeline for students to enter postsecondary apprenticeship training. As such, it provides productive value for the employer while offering students chances to build occupational knowledge and to develop, practice, and demonstrate employability skills.
- Classroom preparation by taking required courses, including research on the industry and participating businesses
- Employer orientation and support
- Opportunities to reflect on the experience orally and in writing
- Practice and preparation for work in an area of career interest
- An understanding of the work environment and what employers expect
- Increased self-understanding, maturity, independence, and self-confidence
The student must have a minimum of 144 hours of related classroom instruction on the theoretical and technical subjects related to the trade.
The employer must be a registered apprenticeship program with the Kentucky Labor Cabinet.
The employer must document the student's progress, pay, and credit hours earned while maintaining contact with the instructor(s).
Tools and Materials
Apprenticeship organizers and participants can use the following resources to plan, implement, and review.
Coordinator Apprenticeship Checklist
Student Apprenticeship Checklist
Tip and Fact Sheets
Teacher Apprenticeship Tip Sheet
Employer Apprenticeship Tip Sheet
Employer Apprenticeship Fact Sheet
Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (need to find one for Co-Op)
Pre-Apprenticeship Site Visit Form
Google Log of Apprenticeship Visit
Apprenticeship Mid-Term Worksite Visit Form
WBL Training Plan and Evaluation Tool
Apprenticeship Student Research Activity
Apprenticeship Student Orientation to the Workplace
Apprenticeship Student Reflection
Work-Based Learning Activity Evaluation (for teacher, coordinator, or host)
Work-Based Learning Activity Evaluation (for student)