Contractor Approval Process
Note: As of July 2019, adults with whom FCPS contracts who do not provide services for or work with students no longer have to go through the background checks. This mainly refers to contractors with the district departments such as plumbers, copier repair crews, Pepsi delivery workers, etc. All other adults who work with or provide services to students still need to follow the previous process and register as a contractor (see steps below). If the person is a guest speaker or other volunteer whom FCPS staff has asked to come into the building, they should use the volunteer application.
In accordance with state regulation KRS 160.380, in order to perform work at a school when students are present, any outside contractor and its employees and parents on SBDM councils must submit these three background checks for approval:
- Kentucky State Police;
- FBI; and
- Cabinet for Health and Family Services child abuse and neglect (CAN) central registry report.
Please follow these steps to apply to be an approved contractor with Fayette County Public Schools:
1. Register as a contractor. Outside contractors should select “Login as Guest.”
2. Submit background checks (state and federal) and CAN letter from CHFS that are less than 6 months old.
- Where: FCPS Human Resources Office, 128 Walton Ave., Lexington KY 40502
- When: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday;
- If submitting documents only, please use the Human Resources drop box.
- If you need a picture for your contractor badge, schedule a photo appointment with HR. Please let our staff know that you only need a photo ID.
If you do not have current documentation:
- Schedule a fingerprints appointment and bring the following items:
- Driver’s license (must be current)
- Social Security card (the actual card with signature – not a copy)
- Check or money order for $40 made out to FCPS
- Follow these instructions for the Criminal Abuse and Neglect (CAN) Registry check. Then email your receipt to the FCPS Application Center to be placed into pending status. Submit the results within 30 days to the same email address to become fully approved.
You may also obtain the reports from other locations and submit them to our Human Resource Office at the address above.
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is fcps.net/contractors
Email the FCPS Application Center or call (859) 381-4190.
Other fingerprint locations in Fayette County:
- Sheriff's Office, 150 N. Limestone, (859) 252-1771
- Police Department, 150 E. Main St., (859) 258-3600
- Kentucky Horse Park / mounted police, 4089 Ironworks Pike, (859) 259-4250
- Lexington-Fayette Animal Care & Control, 1600 Old Frankfort Pike, (859) 255-9033
Child Abuse and Neglect (CAN) central registry check, Form DPP-156 (Hit 'Control F' and type '156' to search.)