Comprehensive 10-Point Safety Investment Plan
Fayette County Public Schools will become a national model under its Comprehensive 10-Point Safety Investment Plan, which is designed not only to prevent a school shooting, but also to lessen the other risks students can face, including bullying, self-harm, suicide, drug use, and online exploitation.
The safety plan, which Superintendent Manny Caulk unveiled in July 2018, outlines investments in critical areas and will cost $13.5 million in its first year. To pay for it, the Fayette County Board of Education voted to add a 5-cent property tax dedicated to school safety. Based on the $175,000 median value of homes in Lexington, the levy will cost the average homeowner about $90 a year (or less than $7.50 per month).
- Comprehensive 10-Point Safety Investment Plan
- Details from the July 2 news conference with video (edited)
- FAQ about the dedicated property tax
- Letter from Superintendent Caulk to families
- Letter from Caulk to employees
- Superintendent thanks community for support with video from Sept. 7 news conference
- Implementation timeline
The District Safety Advisory Council, which Caulk introduced on Feb. 22, 2018, examined best practices in school safety and relevant issues in juvenile justice, mental health, and social media. On May 14, 2018, the group presented a white paper with specific recommendations to ensure all schools are safe places to learn and work.
The advisory council's meetings, which rotated among the district’s six high schools, were not open forums or town hall meetings though they were open to the public. Community input was captured electronically during each meeting and via suggestions emailed to FCPS.
- March 1, state and national best practices -- Summary & video | Agenda | Handout | Notes | Post Its | Slido
- March 8, juvenile justice and crime -- Summary & video | Agenda | Handout | Notes | Post Its | Slido
- March 15, mental health -- Summary & video | Agenda | Handout | Notes | Post Its | Slido
- March 20, student panel -- Summary & video | Agenda | Handout | Notes | Post Its | SWOT | Slido
- March 22, social media -- Summary & video | Agenda | Handout | Notes | Post Its | Slido
- March 29, council work session -- Summary & video