Carter G. Woodson Academy
1813 Charleston Drive •
Lexington, KY 40505
Phone: (859) 381-3933 • Fax: (859) 381-3372
School website: www.cgwacademy.fcps.net
School hours: 7:45 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
The Carter G. Woodson Academy provides an advanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the new common core standards through the lens of African-American history, culture and culturally responsive teaching and learning strategies.
This traditional college preparatory program, which launched in the fall of 2012, serves at-promise males in grades 6-11 who have unlimited potential. (In subsequent years, one grade is added at the high school level.) All participants will graduate college- and career-ready.
- Frequently asked questions
- FCPS online application -- The window typically is Aug. 15 to Oct. 7 for the following school year. It's not a first-come, first-served system. Applications may be submitted anytime during the window, and all receive equal consideration.
FCPS Info Night: Sept. 15
FCPS will host a districtwide Information Night to spotlight the gifted and talented programs, magnet schools and specialized academic programs. Families can pick up brochures on all the options and then attend three breakout sessions from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept 15 at Henry Clay High School.
Open house: 6 p.m. Oct. 13
"To educate, motivate and activate the potential for excellence that lies within every male"
What makes our school special
- High expectations for learning and achievement
- Student-focused academic support
- Committed staff with a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure scholars' success
- "The Power of Stories" with community speakers
- Individual mentoring
- College, cultural and abroad field trips
- Enrichment and hands-on experiences in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- After-school and evening tutoring
- Optional Saturday programming
- Partnerships with colleges, universities and community & technical schools
- Support from community groups and agencies
- Scholarship opportunities
About this page
To report a broken link or other website issues: Tammy Lane