Carter G. Woodson Academy
1813 Charleston Drive •
Lexington, KY 40505
Phone: (859) 381-3933 • Fax: (859) 381-3372
School website: www.cgwacademy.fcps.net
School hours: 7:45 a.m. - 2:35 p.m.
Carter G. Woodson Academy provides an advanced and rigorous curriculum that meets the new common core standards through the lens of African-American history, culture and culturally responsive teaching and learning strategies. This traditional college preparatory program, which launched in the fall of 2012, serves at-promise males in grades 6-12 who have unlimited potential. All participants will graduate college- and career-ready.
This FCPS program is named for Carter G. Woodson -- a historian, author, journalist and educator who devoted his life to the research of African-American people, culture and history. A graduate of Berea College and the University of Chicago, Woodson was the second African-American to earn a doctorate from Harvard University. Known as the "Father of Black History," he firmly believed that all would benefit from learning about the experiences and contributions of African-Americans and advocated for its inclusion in the curriculum of all schools.
"To educate, motivate and activate the potential for excellence that lies within every male"
What makes our school special
- High expectations for learning and achievement
- Student-focused academic support
- Committed staff with a “whatever it takes” mentality to ensure scholars' success
- "The Power of Stories" with community speakers
- Individual mentoring
- College, cultural and abroad field trips
- Enrichment and hands-on experiences in science, technology, engineering and mathematics
- After-school and evening tutoring
- Optional Saturday programming
- Partnerships with colleges, universities and community & technical schools
- Support from community groups and agencies
- Scholarship opportunities
About this page
To report a broken link or other website issues: Tammy Lane