FCPS registration requirements
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/registration
To enroll a new student in Fayette County Public Schools, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your child's school, use the online street directory. Note that two brand-new elementaries will open in August 2016: Coventry Oak and Garrett Morgan.
Registration windows for the 2016-2017 school year: June 6-7 and July 26 through Aug. 10 (first day of school). Hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays.
For first-time registration questions, call (859) 381-4130. For questions about how families can help young children transition to school, call (859) 381-4307.
Health requirements for K-12 school entry
Please bring the following to registration:
- Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam **
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1, 2017)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1, 2017)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until they are on file with FCPS.
* Proof of identity & birth date
A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. These are acceptable alternatives:
- Student's valid passport or other federal government identification;
- Custody decree or court order of dissolution of marriage of the student's parents, identifying the child by name and date of birth;
- Student's valid Kentucky driver's license or permit (if 16 or older);
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
- "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment. If I fail to do so, I understand that I will be reported to local law enforcement or the Kentucky State Police for investigation."
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
If your family moves within Fayette County, you should complete a new household form to update your address. Turn in the household and student data form at your child's school. If the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the online street directory to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application, selecting reason No. 3; call (859) 381-4122 for assistance.
If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence. (Grades K-5 may register during summer sign-up windows, and older students after Aug. 1; see www.fcps.net/registration.)
Preschool & kindergarten
Fayette County Preschool - Families may sign up for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds with a special need may also attend.
Kindergarten in FCPS - Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 may enroll in full-day kindergarten.
For questions, call (859) 381-4307.