FCPS registration requirements
To enroll a new student in Fayette County Public Schools, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your school, use our online street directory or call (859) 381-4315.
For incoming kindergartners, after each registration window closes, families will receive a letter either confirming a student’s enrollment in the neighborhood school or advising that their school is full and explaining their options.
Call the Pupil Personnel office at (859) 381-4130 or the kindergarten office at (859) 381-4105.
Health requirements for school entry
Please bring the following to registration:
- Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam *
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate *
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
* You may register without these documents, but your child may not attend school until they are provided.
Proof of identity & birth date
A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. These are acceptable alternatives:
- Student's valid passport or other federal government identification;
- Custody decree or court order of dissolution of marriage of the student's parents, identifying the child by name and date of birth;
- Student's valid Kentucky driver's license or permit (if 16 or older);
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
- "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment. If I fail to do so, I understand that I will be reported to local law enforcement or the Kentucky State Police for investigation."
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
Fayette County Preschool - Families may sign up for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds with a special need may also attend.
Kindergarten in FCPS - Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 may enroll in full-day kindergarten.