Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/outofarea
In limited circumstances, a student may be permitted to attend a different school than the one serving their family's neighborhood. While not all schools are open to out-of-area requests because of space limitations, you may apply for your child to attend an eligible school. Please keep in mind the criteria for applying are extremely limited, and because of capacity concerns, elementary students are encouraged to attend their assigned schools.
The online application is available soon after Spring Break. Placements generally are reviewed during June and July, but might come later for schools with high student enrollment.
Schools projected to have space (subject to change): Bryan Station Middle, Lexington Tradititional Magnet School, Tates Creek High
- Out-of-area application -- Select "reason other than above."
Questions? (859) 381-4122
Please review the choices carefully in the online application; each reason includes a detailed explanation.
Reminder for families with rising sixth- and ninth-graders: If your student will be rezoned for 2017-2018, you can request for them to move to their new school this fall. If you don't take this early-entry option, the student must enroll in their reassigned school the following year as required.
- Online street directory -- Plug in home address to find assigned schools.
- Boundary changes and revised maps
- Out-of-area application
- Registration requirements
School board policy
- Students in grades 6 through 12 who attend a school other than their assigned school shall be ineligible for all interscholastic sports for 36 school weeks following approval, unless eligible for a senior waiver.
- The student's parent/guardian is responsible for adequate and timely transportation to and from school.
- The student is expected to demonstrate acceptable behavior, make academic progress, and be in regular attendance.