FCPS archers compete in Region 9 tournament
Author: Tammy L. Lane • First Posted: Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Ten schools in Fayette County Public Schools sent teams to the Kentucky NASP Region 9 Archery Tournament on March 1-2 in Madison County. While the Kentucky High School Athletic Association this year added archery as a sports activity, the competitions are still coordinated by the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP).
In the high school division of Region 9, Paul Laurence Dunbar came in fourth, followed by Lafayette at fifth, Tates Creek at seventh, Bryan Station at 10th and Henry Clay at 11th. Beaumont Middle School’s Team 1 was runner-up in the middle division and Team 2 was ninth. In the elementary division (which includes sixth-graders), Beaumont’s team came in eighth, and Athens-Chilesburg Elementary finished 15th.
Top-10 individual efforts, by division:
- Seanna Bryant of Lafayette was fourth among high school girls.
- Beaumont’s Patrick Phillips was fifth and twin brother Peyton 10th among elementary boys.
- Dunbar’s Satya Alluri was seventh among high school boys.
- Devin Daniel of Beaumont was eighth among middle division boys.
Other FCPS participants were Ashland Elementary, Winburn Middle School and The Learning Center at Linlee.
- Complete Region 9 results(Fayette, Scott, Woodford and Madison counties)
Based on the cumulative scores of their top 12 archers, Beaumont, Lafayette, Dunbar and Tates Creek High will advance to the state tournament March 18-19 in Louisville. Meanwhile, the Fayette County Archery Championships, which is open to public and private school students, is set for March 16 at Tates Creek High School. About 400 participants are expected.