Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 is eligible to start full-day kindergarten in August. To enroll a child, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet.
For questions, call the kindergarten office at (859) 381-4105 or the Pupil Personnel office at (859) 381-4130.
Starting kindergarten is an exciting time for young children and their families. The information below could help with the transition.
Countdown to Kindergarten
"Countdown to Kindergarten" spotlights the importance of early learning activities and family involvement in education while also providing residents with a range of entertaining programs. Thanks to the joint efforts of local organizations, children registered to start kindergarten in August have a summer full of free and low-cost activities to help them get ready for their first day of school.
- 2014 passport and event schedule | more details
- Feature article: Children's garden an apt classroom for 5-year-olds
- Initiative's history, including partners & funders
This late-summer informal orientation gets children and families into the school spirit! Parents can fill out paperwork, tour the school and meet other families and a few teachers. Meanwhile, school staff will screen children to assess their readiness for kindergarten. Don't panic if your child cannot do everything on the list. Simply start to introduce the new skills by embedding them throughout your daily routines -- counting bananas at the grocery store and finding words around the house that begin with certain letters. Remember, it's also important to work on your child's following directions, listening and getting along with others.
- Definition for school readiness (Governor's Early Childhood Task Force)
- Transition-to-school tips (PBS)
- Math is Everywhere (Sesame Street)
Expectations in FCPS
Did you know?
- Each school has its own website, where you can find school supply lists, important dates and timely information. | List of elementaries
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/kindergarten