FCPS registration requirements

To enroll a child in Fayette County Public Schools, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your school, use our online street directory or call (859) 381-4315. Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 can enroll in full-day kindergarten. Families may sign up for the district’s preschool program if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds who have a special need may also attend preschool.

For the 2014-2015 school year

Registration for kindergarteners and other new students will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. weekdays during these remaining windows: 

  • Tuesdays from June 17 through July 22, excluding July 1 (elementary only)
  • July 29 through Aug. 13, the first day of school

After each registration window closes, families will receive a letter either confirming a student’s enrollment in the neighborhood school or advising that their school is full and explaining their options.

Flier | en Espanol

Health requirements for school entry
Please bring the following to registration:
  • Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity
  • Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
  • Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam *
  • Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate *
  • Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1, 2015)
  • Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1, 2015)
  • Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable

* You may register without these documents, but your child may not attend school until they are provided.

Proof of identity & birth date

A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. These are acceptable alternatives: 

  • Student's valid passport or other federal government identification;
  • Custody decree or court order of dissolution of marriage of the student's parents, identifying the child by name and date of birth;
  • Student's valid Kentucky driver's license or permit (if 16 or older);
  • Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
  • "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment. If I fail to do so, I understand that I will be reported to local law enforcement or the Kentucky State Police for investigation."

You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.


Call the district's kindergarten/preschool office at (859) 381-4105 or the Pupil Personnel office at (859) 381-4130.

Kindergarten in FCPS


Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/registration

About this page