FCPS registration requirements
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/registration
To enroll a new student in Fayette County Public Schools, families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your child's school, use the online street directory.
For registration questions, call (859) 381-4130. For resources on how families can help young children transition to school, call (859) 381-4307.
Health requirements for K-12 school entry
Please bring the following to registration:
- Child's birth certificate or other reliable proof of identity (see below*)
- Two proofs of residence, such as a property deed or current lease agreement in your name and a secondary document such as a current utility bill or a current tax bill or receipt
- Proof of child's recent preventative health care exam **
- Up-to-date Kentucky immunization certificate **
- Proof of an eye exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Proof of a dental exam (due by Jan. 1)
- Court documents pertaining to your child, if applicable
** You may register without these two documents, but your child may not attend school until they are on file with FCPS.
* Proof of identity & birth date
A legal copy of the child's birth certificate or another official document proving the child's identity and date of birth is required for school registration. Among the acceptable alternatives:
- Adoption records;
- Valid passport or other federal government identification like a Social Security card;
- Military identification or immigration card;
- Valid Kentucky driver's license or permit;
- Prior school records (other than FCPS) identifying student by name and date of birth; or
- "At this time, I am unable to provide the school with one of the acceptable forms of proof listed above. I understand that this constitutes written notice that Kentucky state law requires that I provide the certified birth certificate or one of the above-listed items to the school within 30 days of student enrollment. If I fail to do so, I understand that I will be reported to local law enforcement or the Kentucky State Police for investigation."
You can get a birth-certificate application from the assigned school or from the Fayette County Health Department, 650 Newtown Pike; call (859) 252-2371.
If your family moves within Lexington, you should complete a new household form to update your address. Turn in the household and student data form at your child's school. However, if the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the online street directory to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application; select the reason "My family moved after school started, but I would like my child to attend his/her current school through the end of this school year. We will begin in our new school next year." Call (859) 381-4122 for assistance.
If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence. (Grades K-5 may register during summer sign-up windows, and older students after Aug. 1; see www.fcps.net/registration.)
Preschool & kindergarten
Fayette County Preschool - Families may sign up for preschool if their child turns 4 on or before Aug. 1 and is income-eligible. Three- and 4-year-olds with a special need may also attend.
Kindergarten in FCPS - Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 may enroll in full-day kindergarten. Starting in 2017-18, the birthday cutoff is Aug. 1.
For questions, call (859) 381-4105.