Kindergarten in FCPS
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/kindergarten
Any child who turns 5 on or before Oct. 1 is eligible for full-day kindergarten in 2016-17. Per state regulations, starting in 2017-18, the birthday eligibility cutoff is on or before Aug. 1.
** Families may begin the 2017-18 registration process online at www.fcps.net/kinder.
For questions about enrollment, call (859) 381-4130. For resources to help children transition to kindergarten, call (859) 381-4307.
Countdown to Kindergarten
"Countdown to Kindergarten" spotlights the importance of early learning activities and family involvement in education while also providing residents with a range of entertaining programs. Thanks to the joint efforts of local organizations, children registered to start kindergarten in August have a summer full of free and low-cost activities to help them get ready for their first day of school. | Feature article | Channel 13 program
This late-summer informal orientation gets children and families into the school spirit! Parents can fill out paperwork, tour the school and meet other families and a few teachers. Meanwhile, school staff will screen children to assess their readiness for kindergarten. Don't panic if your child cannot do everything on the list. Simply start to introduce the new skills by embedding them throughout your daily routines -- counting bananas at the grocery store and finding words around the house that begin with certain letters. Remember, it's also important to work on your child's following directions, listening and getting along with others. | Feature article
- Definition for school readiness (Governor's Early Childhood Task Force)
- Parent guides (Governor's Office of Early Childhood)
- Transition-to-school tips (PBS)
- Math is Everywhere (Sesame Street)
Expectations in FCPS
Did you know?
- Each school has its own website where you can find school supply lists, important dates, and timely information. | List of elementaries
- FCPS also offers preschool, and the application window for 2017-18 opens in late April. | Preschool