Frequently Asked Questions
Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is www.fcps.net/faq
You also can find useful information under the How Do I ... section on the home page.
- How old does my child have to be to attend kindergarten?
- Can my child attend preschool?
- How do I know what schools my neighborhood is assigned to?
- What school board district do I live in?
- How do I email someone in the school system?
- How can I get a copy of my high school transcript?
- How do I get my GED?
- My children are really bright. How can I get them involved in accelerated programs?
- When roads are icy or snow is forecast, how do I know if school will be canceled?
- When does the school board meet?
All children who turn 5 years old on or before Oct. 1 are eligible for kindergarten. Find enrollment information here.
Eligibility for the Fayette County Preschool Program (formerly called Early Start) is determined by age and income criteria (age 4) or diagnosed special need (age 3 or 4).
We have an online street directory that will look up your specific address and tell you what elementary, middle and high schools serve that area.
Which school board district do I live in?
Most FCPS email addresses follow this form: email@example.com. Of course, this method isn't failsafe unless you are certain of the spelling of the name, and sometimes people use different names. Here are a couple of ways to locate an email address for a FCPS employee. If the person is based in a school (a teacher, principal or staff member), you should be able to find the address using our school email directory. If the person works at "It's About Kids" Support Services, you might find them in our IAKSS staff directory.
Transcripts are issued by each Fayette County high school for their respective graduates. Call the registrar at your alma mater for assistance. | Phone list
Special opportunities are available for children who excel in academics, visual or performing arts, or leadership. Call (859) 381-4741.
Families are alerted via an automated emergency notification system, and school closings are posted on the district's home page, Facebook and Twitter, Channel 13 and local television and radio stations. | Details
The Board of Education holds two regular business meetings each month - one to review the agenda and one to take action. The meetings normally fall on the second and fourth Monday, respectively. | Schedule