Frequently Asked Questions

Web tip: The URL shortcut to this page is

We have compiled handy answers to some of the more commonly asked questions in Fayette County Public Schools. Skim below, or click a category to jump to that section: contacts, school issues, academics, special programs and services, and miscellaneous



How can I reach the superintendent or share some feedback? The best way is through our online system called "Let's Talk!" Bookmark

What is the teacher's email address? Most FCPS email addresses follow this form: Of course, this method isn't failsafe unless you are certain of the spelling, and sometimes people go by different names. If the person is based in a school (a teacher, principal or staff member), look in our school email directory. If the person works at "It's About Kids" Support Services, check in the IAKSS staff directory.  

Where are the law enforcement officers? FCPS officers work with school leaders to ensure a safe environment for students, staff, parents and visitors while on school property. Multiple officers are assigned to geographical areas. The main number downtown is (859) 381-4200. | Details

What if I want to publicize a school event? FCPS welcomes the submission of news items for consideration and suggestions for feature articles. | Website contact | Channel 13 contact

How do I get a copy of a show that aired on Channel 13? Simply drop off a blank DVD-R disc at "It's About Kids" Support Services, 701 E. Main St., attention Linda Dawahare. Please include a note with the event or program requested, your name, and a daytime phone number. We will call you when the DVD is ready for pickup downtown.

School issues

Can my child attend preschool? Eligibility is determined by age and income criteria (age 4) or diagnosed special need (ages 3 and 4). | Fayette County Preschool Program

How old does a child have to be for kindergarten? Children who turn 5 on or before Aug. 1 are eligible for kindergarten. Parents may also request screening for possible early entry for mature children who will turn 5 between Aug. 2 and Oct. 31. | Details

What's the process for enrollment? Families should go to the school their neighborhood is assigned to and fill out a registration packet. To determine your school, use our online street directory. The sign-up windows are typically in February, April and summer. | Enrollment resources | Registration requirements

How can I send my child to a different school? FCPS sharply limits the criteria for approving families' requests. Please review the choices carefully in the online application; each reason includes a detailed explanation. | Out-of-area requests

What if my family moves? If your family moves within Fayette County, you should complete a new household form to update your address. Turn in the household and student data form at your child's school. If the move puts you in a different attendance zone, you also need to complete an out-of-area request for your children to finish the school year at their current school. Check the online street directory to see which schools your new neighborhood is assigned to and complete the out-of-area application, selecting reason No. 3; call (859) 381-4122 for assistance. ... If your family moves during the summer break into a different attendance zone, you should visit the assigned school to register your student under your new address. Be sure to bring two proofs of residence. (Grades K-5 may register during summer sign-up windows, and older students after Aug. 1; see

Where is my child's bus route? Families can plug their home address into the Bus Route Finder to see their children's bus stops, bus numbers and pickup times. (This online tool is updated each August for the new school year.) Buses also run special routes for students in magnet schools and gifted & talented programs. | Transportation Department

What's the school cafeteria serving this week? FCPS provides nutritionally balanced meals for students with a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, low-fat milk and whole-grain products. | Menus

Do our children qualify for free meals? More than 30 school sites participate in the Community Eligibility Provision (CEP), where all students receive free meals. For students not attending a CEP school, families with certain income levels are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals. | Details

Where do I find school health information? Bookmark to access state requirements and health forms to fill out for school enrollment, resources for students with certain health conditions, phone numbers for the Healthy Kids Clinics, and more.

What happens when roads are icy or snow is forecast? Families are alerted to schedule changes via an automated emergency notification system, and announcements are posted on the district's website, Facebook page, Twitter feed and Channel 13, as well as through local television and radio stations. Bookmark to be prepared.

Where do the renovations stand at my child's school? The Board of Education receives monthly updates, which we post on the district's website and on each school's web page. | Details

Can I volunteer at my child's school? Certainly! Volunteers help ensure success for all our students. First, you must agree to a background check. | Application (Everyone must re-apply every four years.) Human Resources monitors the process and keeps lists of approved volunteers; call (859) 381-4345. | Family And Community Engagement | 16th District PTA

There's a problem at school. Whom do I call? The first step in handling a question, concern or problem is to contact the teacher or guidance counselor. If the situation remains unresolved, families are encouraged to speak with the principal. If further attention is needed, the next step is to contact the district office. | Elementary schools | Middle schools | High schools | Technical centers | Other academic programs | School directors

When will you announce the high school graduation dates? Specifics are not set in the spring until after the threat of wintry weather has passed and all the make-up days have been announced. When the graduation schedule is released, the details are posted on the FCPS home page, on Facebook, on Channel 13 and through other local media. Bookmark


Where can I access my children's grades? Families can see grades, attendance records, class assignments and more through Infinite Campus, the student records management software for all school districts in Kentucky. Bookmark

How do I sign up my child for an Academic Challenge team? This program helps make learning fun by giving students in grades 2-5 a chance to work in teams to answer questions on various subjects in a competitive setting. Watch for sign-ups at school in the early fall, or ask your child's teacher. 

Where can I find state testing results? FCPS posts state test scores and other accountability files under Data Central; the URL shortcut is You also can see related resources on each school's web page. Pick your site under schools and then look under "Student Achievement" on the far left.

When can my student register for summer school? Teens interested in taking the initial-credit physical education class during summer break should check with their high school guidance counselor in the spring about the dates and registration details. | Bryan Station: (859) 381-3308 | Henry Clay: (859) 381-3423 | Lafayette: (859) 381-3474 | Paul Laurence Dunbar: (859) 381-3546 | Tates Creek: (859) 381-3620

I heard FCPS offers online classes. How does that work? eSchool is a web-based program that students can use anywhere they have internet access. It is available year-round for credit recovery, initial credit, or grade improvement. Final exams are proctored and administered by appointment at Martin Luther King Jr. Academy. Students should start the eSchool process with their high school guidance counselor. For general questions, call (859) 381-4052.

How do I get my GED? We refer GED applicants who are 18 and older and no longer in school to the Bluegrass Community & Technical College adult education program or other local sites. | Details 

How can I get a copy of my high school transcript? Each high school issues transcripts for their graduates. Call the registrar at your alma mater: Phone list | Students can also request their transcripts online and have them sent directly to participating colleges and universities via

Special programs & services

My children are really bright. How can I get them involved in accelerated programs? Special opportunities are available for students who excel in academics, visual or performing arts, leadership and other areas. | Gifted & talented services | Magnet schools | Specialized academic programs

My child might need extra help. What can I do? A team of professionals at FCPS is dedicated to providing services for children who need specially designed instruction that enables them to demonstrate, to their fullest, the knowledge and skills essential for lifelong learning, social well-being, and active, responsible citizenship. | Special Education Department

What if my child needs therapy? FCPS provides speech, occupational and physical therapy as well as academic support and intervention for a range of classroom and social needs. Call (859) 381-4171 or talk with the school principal.


I need SBDM training. Where can I see a list of options? FCPS offers training for experienced and new members of School-Based Decision Making Councils. The district also offers classes for the general public called Community U. | Registration

Can I rent a school classroom or district facility? School-related groups and various civic, charitable, governmental, nonprofit, religious and other organizations and individuals may use school facilities and equipment according to Board of Education policies. | Details and fees

Does FCPS sell any surplus? The district occasionally sells surplus vehicles and equipment. (FCPS makes no warranties or assurances.) | Purchasing Office -- miscellaneous equipment and vehicles | Transportation Department -- school buses | Food Service -- kitchen items

Which school board district do I live in? Use the online searchable database of voter information to figure out your district or refer to these maps. 

When does the school board meet? The Board of Education holds two regular business meetings each month - one to review the agenda and one to take action. The meetings normally fall on the second and fourth Monday, respectively. | Schedule

What if I want to speak at a school board meeting? Your participation at action meetings is welcomed. | Guidelines for public comment



About this page